Wheel size

Patrix

Question

Hi everyone, just a quick question, will a rim size 17 Inch 7J ET40 with a 205/40 tire fit on my lowered MA9?

Now I have 15 Inch 7J ET35 with a 185/60 tire and it hits the fender pretty quick at the front (when cornering)

Thanks in advance

10 answers to this question

Hi Mate, think I can se the problem! When new, fitted with 15's, these civics had 195/55 x 15  tyres on them on standard suspension. You have gone up a profile size (so essentially making the wheel/tyre bigger than  it normally is, then lowered it which alters the geometery of the suspension, hence why you're getting tyre rub.  

See this guide here >>> FAQ About Honda Civic M's - FAQ - Civic5 Honda Civic MA/MB/MC owners club

To explain things further, and to help make sure you choose the right wheel oiffset/tyre combo, see this link here >>> Wheel Offset and tyre calculator - Brakes and alloys - Civic5 Honda Civic MA/MB/MC owners club

There's a couple of links in there that help explain things better 8-)

• Like 1

Hi, thanks for the answer, yes the tire is one size bigger then supposed, but ! think the ET35 is also to low, ET40 or higher shut be better.

In fact I was wondering if somebody fitted 17 inch ET40 with the mentioned tire, and lowered of course.

The difference between 195/55/15 and 185/60/15 is only 7.5mm (in total) I don't think that the 3.75mm makes the difference.

Maybe a camber-set is the solution?

I'll take a look at the links you posted, thanks a lot friday.gif1

• Like 1

I used the first calculator, it's really a fantastic one!, the new size I have in mind is sticking out the same as what I have now, so it will fit (with a minor rubbing but that's only with fast sharp cornering.

• Like 1

I don't know the answer as such of the top of my head. 

However I have been running 15x7 et35. 195 50 15 tyres. And no rubbing or catching at all and the car get driven really hard at times

195 50 15 is a lot smaller then the 185 60 15 I have, and maybe it's better to put it a bit higher on the springs also, but I like as low as possible.

It's not that much rubbing, mostly in sharp corners because the wheel is sticking out of the fender then.

@Patrix Is your car lowered by just lowering springs or adjustable coilovers? If its the adjustable one, I'd recommend turning the button on the shock/damper to a stiffer setting. This should eliminate the issue you have when cornering.

Hi Dave, it's lowered bij coilovers but not adjustable, best thing to do is set it a bit higher, or buy adjustable upper arms, but what i mentioned earlier, it's not rubbing a lot.

At normal cornering it's fine, straight ahead also, only the tight (bumpy) corners will give al little rubbing, it's touching de inner fender (plastic) like a gentle kiss :-D

Hi,

Put some ''new'' wheels on, same style only 2 inch bigger, tire size 205/17/40  7J ET38, fits perfectly.

IMG_20210814_151451.jpg

Old situation,

IMG_20201111_201823.jpg

• Like 1