New E10 fuel

jocky2k

I read that link too, and a bit confusing. Can't remember off hand but not sure ours is the pgm-fi, almost certain ours is the earlier multipoint injection system. Issue is, the E10 fuel rusts out the bottom of metal fuel tanks (which all our civics and 90's cars have) along with the fuel lines. Most cars after 2010 have plastic fuel tanks.

We had to fill DD up the other day and as the garage here  has stopped selling E5, had to use E10. One thing I noticed straight away is fuel consumption!

On her last E5 tankful, DD did 340miles. At half tank she had already done 200miles

On E10, I almost shit myself!! Down to half tank, 98 miles!!! what the actual F***! And this is doing exactly the same driving, on the same roads, in the same conditions as the last tank of E5. I actually went underneath as I thought she must surely have a leaking tank or something. But no, all good under there.

No idea why such a dramatic drop in mpg, maybe needs the ecu reset for this fuel?  Anyhoo, she'll not be getting any more E10. Theres a Shell garage 7 miles away that sells both E5 (super unleaded) and E10 so will be going there. Just filled Mindy up there so means it's going to cost us more to fill them. Think this is another ploy by the government to get older cars off the road. The wankers! lol 

Has anyone else tried a tankful of E10 yet to see if they get any notable difference in performance/mpg?

I've gotta be honest I won't be touching the stuff. 

Sure it's fine not being weird. Just cars mapped on super and it sits around for ages at a time. And ya said about metal fuel tank etc.

So your getting roughly half your normal mpg @Dave?

I wonder if the old ECU reset might help? 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure that ours use PGMFI, but after all the fuel system leaks I've had over the years I'm staying with super unleaded - use it most of the time anyway. Tesco 99 is usually a decent price. 

I knew that the Mpg was supposed to be worse, but didn't realise it would be that bad!

I remember my first car, was a little 205 and that ended up with a tank leak - the new tank was plastic and I thought it was a much better idea. That was back in the 90s. Also ran on 4 star :lol:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

I've gotta be honest I won't be touching the stuff. 

Sure it's fine not being weird. Just cars mapped on super and it sits around for ages at a time. And ya said about metal fuel tank etc.

So your getting roughly half your normal mpg @Dave?

I wonder if the old ECU reset might help? 

Yeah, I'm deffo staying clear of it to mate. I deff wouldn't put it in you VTiS, like you say, she's tuned for the 99 so best to keep her on that.  Not sure what other damage this E10 might do that will no doubt come out in time. Think you're right, ecu reset might have helped with the mpg.

4 hours ago, dr_broon said:

I'm pretty sure that ours use PGMFI, but after all the fuel system leaks I've had over the years I'm staying with super unleaded - use it most of the time anyway. Tesco 99 is usually a decent price. 

I knew that the Mpg was supposed to be worse, but didn't realise it would be that bad!

I remember my first car, was a little 205 and that ended up with a tank leak - the new tank was plastic and I thought it was a much better idea. That was back in the 90s. Also ran on 4 star :lol:

lol Its funny, first time I saw a car with a plastic fuel tank I thought "jeese! that is dangerous!" but looking back I think they are far better than the metal ones. Wonder if we'll be able to eventually get a platric one for our civics (seeing as the metal ones are already like gold dust new)

• Like 1

I think I'll be following and running mine on super. @Dave that is some shocking mpg. Part of me wants to test it in my eco tec but not at the cost of killing my car lol. Especially as I've just got him how I want, well aesthetically anyway. Engine needs some more horses. I also didn't know about the rusting out of fuel tanks and lines. F*** that!! Lol 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Few months ago I noticed a difference straight away after getting E10 a couple of times. When trying to start the car it would really struggle and take longer to fire up. Sometimes this happens slightly when I'm on less than 1/4 tank of fuel (probably just old fuel pump but you get used to it) and this went on for a week or two, but it was also around the start of winter with weather getting cold, so I couldn't be sure. Also felt sluggish.

Ever since then I've been using E5, firstly V Power but lately Texaco super unleaded (garage round the corner from me sells it and also the only place around with a premium diesel too!) And no problems, car fires up straight away even during the colder weather. I did top up with some E10 the other day after already having 1/2 tank of premium in, and no problems. That might be an option considering the ridiculous fuel prices!