98 VTi gauge cluster; DEAD!!

Smitty_Works

Question

Wanted to see if anyone out there has some insight to my dead gauge cluster.

I have a 98 MB9 1.5 VTEC-E Aerodeck that I just picked up last weekend. Everything was running fine with no issues. I recently swapped in a 98 VTi cluster to add some small touches to the interior. Swapped out a few dead mini bulbs here and there, and it was good to go. Took the car out for a drive and all the lights, needles, and functions were on point.

This past evening I was working on the coil over suspension because it has to go to TUV December and because the the guy who had it before had it slammed and it was cringe-worthy driving it back over 500km to the in-laws house. So After raising and lowering the car to get the height I wanted I was finally done and I wanted to take the car out for a spin to heat and set the springs.

When I got into the car I noticed my accessory lights didn't come on, nor did my ebrake, etc. When I started the car up and drove to make a turn my turn signals weren't working, but my 4 way flashers were. Then I say that my temp gauge, gas gauge, RPM and KPH needles were moving either.

Since I don't have a manual I am a little stumped, and by the time one comes in I have to fly back to America.

Anybody have any insight on what to check and where? Since it's late I'll check the fuses again in the morning.

Thanks. 

2 answers to this question

Crikey! Long time bud - didn't you used to have the diesel aerodeck? How's it going? What happened to the mc3? 

You can download the workshop manual from the download section on here - that should sort you out - if not, I've got a Haynes manual so can check if you need it. 

It's a weird one - I guess you've checked the connections etc? 

13 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Crikey! Long time bud - didn't you used to have the diesel aerodeck? How's it going? What happened to the mc3? 

You can download the workshop manual from the download section on here - that should sort you out - if not, I've got a Haynes manual so can check if you need it. 

It's a weird one - I guess you've checked the connections etc? 

Hey there. What's up?

Yeah been a long time since I've been on here. Once I got my orders to leave Germany I sold the silver Aerodeck to another Soldier. Been in America since May 2016. I came up on a sweet deal for Orleans Blue Pearl Aerodeck so i had my wife help me secure it. 

On a positive note, I did download the service manual after looking around for it. And in typical car guy fashion I started to think of all the hard stuff wrong with the car and not the easy things.

Turns out it was just the back-up lights fuse that was causing the issues. The gauges share a circuit with the back-up lights. I was searching for the turn signal fuse, relay, accessory fuse, etc. before I just looked at the manual and the dang fuse box. I lucked out because I was able to fix it before I have to leave tomorrow morning.

• Like 2