B18C4 distributor

Rainy

Question

Hello I was changing inner seal on distributor because it leaked oil , put everything back and now car wont start (just cranking) , what could it be ? I already triple checked everything

9 answers to this question

Not sure what's happened, but it does sound like the dizzy rather than anything else that might have happened by coincidence (sorry if that's stating the obvious). 

That's what happened when my old dizzy died, was just turning over really quick. 

I know folk have replaced parts of their distributors before, but you'd have to do some fault finding I guess - is it worth cracking it open to see if there's anything obvious? 

Already checked resistance of coil , icm is also good and is gettin spark. My only guess is its 180° turned, but how :-|

Will check it again tommorow when I'am at garage

• Like 1

Ignition coil was the culprit. Primary and secondary windings are within factory specs but after removal and close inspection you looked like it was dead long ago :grin: (I couldnt have rotated dizzy 180° because end of shaft has offset and cant be installed wrong).

20211024_153350.jpg

20211024_153308.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KiNK43 said:

That's look gone dont it. 

They are weird tho. I've known them to fail whilst cars off. Pull up at pub. Turn off. Turn the key to get home... dead.

Mind died when it was off - hopped in one morning and no sign of starting.

At least I was at home already. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rainy said:

Its a little confusing tho , primary and secondary windings are still " good" :-D:grin:

Yes it is weird. On every occasion  I've had one fail always gives good readings as well. 

I used to keep a spare ignition coil in the car, honest.

Changed to k20 coilpacks now so hopefully no more issues.

• Like 2