Restoring My Nana And Grandads Honda Civic MB6

Roverjoe

Hello Guys Just thought i would give you an update on the ol' MB6 Project. 

Ive been very busy as of recent sourcing panels for the restoration. Im very chuffed to find some Genuine Body panels including the Whole Upper sill and rear outer arch. Alongside that i have also sourced some Rear inner arch Extension panels where the Sills Meet the Wheel Arch. Unfortunately the Lower/Inner Sill section was no where to be found alongside the front outriggers but thats not an issue at all. i will be starting to Fabricate some New Lower/Inner Sill sections as if you don't know already the Civic MA/MB has Three Segments to the lower sill. The First part being the Front Jacking point section which starts at the sill then wraps itself round the front chassis legs and subframe mounts. Then there is the Middle section where the Front seatbelts are Anchored to. This section is Spot welded to the floor pan to create a sandwich effect (lovely rust trap btw). The Panel Itself is an L Shape as it also forms apart of the inner sill as its all one pressing. Thankfully the rust has not spread up into the vertical section of the panel as the rust has only ate away at the lower part probably due to all the water being trapped there. and Finally the Last segment being the Rear Sill Extension assembly which contains the rear jacking points and the Semi Trailing arm bush mounting. With Fabricating these lower segments it is pretty simple Its just a 90 Degree bend with a flange where the outer skin is spot welded to. 

With Rover at the time having a Partnership with Honda Luckily the 400 and 45 is the same car in terms of bodywork pretty much. Hence why i have bought Rover sills and Rover Inner Arches (they're probably cheaper too) and they will do the same job. Part Numbers if needed ALA120220 for the Side Panel (do note the side panel is a saloon not a hatchback as they are no longer available.) ALX140020  and ALX140030 for the Rear inner arches. The idea will be to chop the sill segment and rear arch segment off the genuine panel and to replace what is the rotten part on my Civic. With this i can maintain the original pressings of the panel such as the grommet holes. Hopefully in the New year i can get round to producing the Inner sill segments to be used.

FC2C0B09-639F-420A-BE61-7A3058BF7562.jpg.4a14f6619e8b6eb99989cc627ac0e264.jpg6BE85085-D5AC-404C-9C81-16809AD4AC9A.jpg.817eb64338309fc1894ec01002a8b547.jpg1CE2990D-C0A6-4DBD-A41A-720BA26B81FF.jpg.6883aa971180a4a309ac8d783028113f.jpgBEF94FDE-D928-43AA-8F2C-83880DB564B6.jpg.31aaa67db0b4224001e777f0cd7383ee.jpg70B20A8E-61CF-4C63-9C40-AFE4423501AD.jpg.67a8250d299130d3ee06a8efa005a38f.jpg

Untitled-1.png.aaf068012eebbdbc1eb009e2a852096f.png

• Like 2

Grey stuff. Glad your still cracking on with your project. A lot would have given up on this one. Seems like your on the right track to repairing it. 

It will soon come together once you start cutting away the bad metal.

Nice one - like kink says, well done for sticking with it. I remember you saying that it meant a lot to keep the car going. 

I ended up using a lot of rover bits and pieces getting mine sorted - some worked out, and others didn't (like fuel tank float). 

On 1/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, Mickg said:

Love the effort :wub: will you be doing the welding yourself ?

im either gonna get it sent off later on this year or do it myself not sure yet though but i wont be going to a Dodgy garage, ive been looking at Reputable Restoration companies

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

lucky find the new-old-stock panels mate. This is a mega project, and nice to see yet another Civic M getting restored. I never thought I would see the day when these civics were getting restored when I first started Civic5 back in 2009.............really is nice to see.8-)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well I thought I’d update the thread, I’ve bought some cutouts for the other side and luckily they are in good condition so I’ve removed all the spotwelds to get the front panel off so that it can be used when it comes to replacing the old upper sill. Some small corrosion so I’ve just used hydrate 80 to convert that so it doesn’t get worse, the panel will be getting sandblasted to remove that surface rust so I have a nice fresh clean panel to weld back in. It’ll be zinc primed or epoxy primed not sure yet. The remaining panels will be used to take reference from. Things such as the lower extension sill and sill to arch join panel, oh and the stiffener too. As these looked far too rusty to use. They will come in handy though as I will be contacting someone regards to the remaking of these panels!!!

0839E604-C437-4C7A-B79D-A91832FB39F3.jpeg

200F8A33-B39F-468D-AE93-F6CE79B8DC79.jpeg

4D17555B-08A8-4A6B-8867-8E285A089FE8.jpeg

54147C7B-5DBB-4ED1-935B-86B9D5F67952.jpeg

• Like 2

Aye, its a slow one at the minute with everything else im currently on with. At the minute im trying to sell off one of my other cars to fund this project, once thats sold then it'll be off in for welding and a few mechanical things. once its back in my hands then ill be on with replacing all the suspension. i already have new bolts, bushes and lower control arms. i just need to get the compensator and upper arms then the rest can be sand blasted and powder coated. 

• Like 1