Lightweight flywheels on B18C4 Hondas

MBFinlay

Does anyone have bad experiences with light flywheels on MB6 Civics? Any difference in Dual mass or Single mass? Single mass is preferred overall i suppose but in some cars there is some chatter/noise at idling or decelerating. Any such symptoms with MB6? Any difference if stock clutch is matched with lightweight flywheel? My leg cramps easily with heavy pedal feel so i'm not really looking for stage 1 or stage 2 clutch etc. I've been looking into ACT streetlite flywheel (5.6 kg). Weight seems okay compared to some lighter ones and is single mass.

I want to hear about risks and rewards for daily use. Rattling noises worry me. especially idling. 

They definitely make engine feel more responsive.

But personally noted when driving with a heavily loaded car. Seems to take more effort to get going.

But for general driving much better.

Dc2 flywheel is good. And considerably lighter. I think 4kg instead of 7kg on mb6 roughly.

I would go with a one piece flywheel.

You don't get typical dual mass flywheels for these engine. As the clutch plate is sprung 

But there are some 2 part flywheels with a mixture of materials available. I think there's more chance of having an issue losing a bolt the ring gear separating in a two part one.

Just now, dr_broon said:

7.5kg for the dc2 one, and about 9.5kg for the vti 

Ignore me then lol getting old and forget. 

Thaught dc2 was lighter than that had one in my eg and did weigh it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Ignore me then lol getting old and forget. 

Thaught dc2 was lighter than that had one in my eg and did weigh it.

:lol:

I had to dip back and check what it was. I weighed the dc2 one before it went on, but can't remember if I weighed the one that came off. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2022 at 11:45 AM, MBFinlay said:

Should i replace the flywheel bolts with new ones? Honda oem bolts or ARP etc. Some say ARP bolts are too long for light flywheel applications? Also what bearing etc. would i need? Release bearing usually comes with new clutch kits i suppose. I'm going for OEM exedy kit (supposedly some 90's Hondas come with exedy from factory). Should i replace the flywheel bearing too? New pressure plate bolts or re-use old ones?

Some people will advise against reusing. However. I have gone through many clutch/box changes and only changed recently because edges were rounding off slightly. Not because they failed. And last two cars have been running a fair bit of power.

I think reusing is fine. Little bit of medium threadlock  and torqued properly