E10 injector terror.

dr_broon

So a few months back, my brother in law had a problem in his civic with an r18 engine where one of the injectors failed.

My mate who works on our cars and used to work in the workshop at Honda is still in touch with guys he used to work with said they'd started seeing loads of injectors going, and thought it was because of e10. 

Fast forward to yesterday, and Karen's accord started sounding rough (she said it sounded like a scooby) and had an engine warning light on. Turns out it was a misfire on one of the cylinders.. Everything else checked out okay, so have ordered a new injector for it - my mate said when he was speaking to the parts guy at the dealer, apparently they'd ordered 18 injectors in a single week, which is totally unheard of. 

Needless to say, Karen's also now not touching e10 anymore.  Normally bullet proof k24 felled by some rubbish fuel (or at least so it seems). 

Nuts when you think my b18 has been rocking on for over 20 years and well over 200k and never had an issue with an injector. Don't even remember anyone on here having issues. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Well that's a bit concerning

I've never went injector shopping before so I don't know what's normal, but loads of places were either out or had low stock

• 4 weeks later...

Mega worrying mate. Recently, due to being absolutely skint with the cost of oil for our oil fired heating and the leccy bill trebling in price, I've had to run DD on E10 as well as Poppy. If there does end up being a trend of injectors failing due to E10, then the drivers of this country need to make a stand against the oil companies and also our poxy gov. if the e10 is destroying injectors, then the fuel companies can be sued for selling a product which is not fit for purpose. 

• Like 2

As I understand it, the ethanol dissolves gunk that's built up in the system over the years, and that clogs the injectors (or at least that's the theory. 

We've been making sure we go to tesco, as the price difference there seems to be normally 5-6p per litre, which as a percentage of nyon 2 quid isn't much especially given the better fuel efficiency. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Posting here as it's the most recent E10 fuel discussion, but has anybody else been using it through this really hot weather?

Last week I put in just under half a tank of E10, I usually run it on E5 or a mixture of them both, and currently since the really hot days we've had, I'm counted 6 times I've started the car and it has instantly cut out! Yesterday it took 3 times to start after work and only then because I held down the accelerator.

Definitely proves to me 100% that this fuel can cause problems or evaporate from where it should be faster than E5. Was getting tired of discussing it with people and them saying 'Oh well time for a newer car if you can't even fuel it' :-P

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, KiNK43 said:

Nightmare especially with prices how they are.  Any thing you can save is a bonus. But I hate using it in either of mine. Absolute last resort 

Yeah that's the absolute last time I'll be using it in mine, just had a right job getting it started once again, 4 or 5 attempts and had to dip right down on the throttle, not just tickle it, which obviously isn't good long term either.

On my way to brim it with E5 and hope that sorts it out with no lasting damage! 

22 hours ago, AJCivic said:

Yeah that's the absolute last time I'll be using it in mine, just had a right job getting it started once again, 4 or 5 attempts and had to dip right down on the throttle, not just tickle it, which obviously isn't good long term either.

On my way to brim it with E5 and hope that sorts it out with no lasting damage! 

Report back. Be Interesting to know if your hard starting issue is resolved.

3 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Report back. Be Interesting to know if your hard starting issue is resolved.

Unfortunately still getting the same issue and even worse now, despite starting fine this morning. Car drives fine once started but starting just isn't happening! Not sure what it could be now, had the immobiliser light flash a couple times too when taking key out and back in again which was an issue I had a few months ago, doubt it is connected but can't rule it out.

Looks like it'll have to go in to be looked at, maybe it wasn't the fuel after all but a big coincidence this only started after putting the E10 in!

• Sad 1