E10 injector terror.

dr_broon

So a few months back, my brother in law had a problem in his civic with an r18 engine where one of the injectors failed.

My mate who works on our cars and used to work in the workshop at Honda is still in touch with guys he used to work with said they'd started seeing loads of injectors going, and thought it was because of e10. 

Fast forward to yesterday, and Karen's accord started sounding rough (she said it sounded like a scooby) and had an engine warning light on. Turns out it was a misfire on one of the cylinders.. Everything else checked out okay, so have ordered a new injector for it - my mate said when he was speaking to the parts guy at the dealer, apparently they'd ordered 18 injectors in a single week, which is totally unheard of. 

Needless to say, Karen's also now not touching e10 anymore.  Normally bullet proof k24 felled by some rubbish fuel (or at least so it seems). 

Nuts when you think my b18 has been rocking on for over 20 years and well over 200k and never had an issue with an injector. Don't even remember anyone on here having issues. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Well that's a bit concerning

I've never went injector shopping before so I don't know what's normal, but loads of places were either out or had low stock

• 4 weeks later...

Mega worrying mate. Recently, due to being absolutely skint with the cost of oil for our oil fired heating and the leccy bill trebling in price, I've had to run DD on E10 as well as Poppy. If there does end up being a trend of injectors failing due to E10, then the drivers of this country need to make a stand against the oil companies and also our poxy gov. if the e10 is destroying injectors, then the fuel companies can be sued for selling a product which is not fit for purpose. 

• Like 2

As I understand it, the ethanol dissolves gunk that's built up in the system over the years, and that clogs the injectors (or at least that's the theory. 

We've been making sure we go to tesco, as the price difference there seems to be normally 5-6p per litre, which as a percentage of nyon 2 quid isn't much especially given the better fuel efficiency. 

• Like 2