Head Skimming

pikeypadfield

Ok guys recently bought a mb3 with a headgasket gone. No problem decided to do it on the side of the road. No prob could quite get the inlet manifold off so left it on and lifted the head. Got a straight edge all fine.. well it seemed. so i cleaned up both surfaces and put it all back together blah blah blah.

Notice i didnt skim the head!

All good drove lovely didnt quite start first time all the time. checked all my ignition components all good! Found out the coolant was weeping into combustion chamber. After doin a Cylinder Leakage Test. didnt look good so i had to take head off again. had a 15% difference from cylinder 1 to 3.

Ok so now the head is off and getting pressure tested and skimmed! see how i go now.

There will be a morale to this story!

cheers. ok well i had head pressure tested and looked at. i was correct as it is completely flat and holds 100 psi of pressure!!

Having a few options leaves me in a sticky situation!

Ok so i can scrap car... easy way out.

So i can do it at work clean head bolt holes out and clean up threads torque it up see what i got. (couldnt do this overally well on side of road)

Fix it and trade it in.

The main thing im worried about is the fact it dint happen till 850 miles after!!

Are my linings cracked or was there just a breach through the gasket due to bolt holes not being clean enough??

always skim it unless its a cast iron head.we use a guy who skims to mirror finish ,perfect.

als worth hot pressure test while head off at the enginneers just incase you got a cracked head.

Archived