Front Fog Lights Disassembly

RuifcNunes

Question

Hi, 

I've managed to find these fog lights that seem quite rare and I was hunting for a while. 

However I am happy with the find, they require some repairs and I can't seem to find a way to open them, not even to change a bulb. So, I was wondering if anyone here knows their way around these fog lights that could help me. 

PS: Ignore the side markers on the attached photo. 

Best Regards, 

Rui Nunes

IMG_20221018_123154.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Rui,

Once the rubber cover is removed the textured part twists off anticlockwise. Ive attached a photo to show. Can be really stiff if they havent been removed in a while. 

Cheers, Dan

20221019_213223.jpg

• Like 1

I've managed to get to that part and removing the housing and glass from the plastic cover, however I discovered that the chrome housing is actually metal an it's very rusted. I don't know if it is recoverable. 

To remove the glass I have to apply heat to weaken any sort of seal or is there any "trick"? 

9 hours ago, RuifcNunes said:

I've managed to get to that part and removing the housing and glass from the plastic cover, however I discovered that the chrome housing is actually metal an it's very rusted. I don't know if it is recoverable. 

To remove the glass I have to apply heat to weaken any sort of seal or is there any "trick"? 

I would imagine heat would help but i dont know of any tricks or anyone whose done it before. 

If its beyond saving you can still get replacement lamps on ebay, but theyre not bosch and ship from the US: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392038428811?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1ouKfcuWQBO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=d-k9ZEaNTZm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 

Theres someone on here who has ordered a pair but i cant remember who it was - had a aerodeck though

19 minutes ago, dan1 said:

I would imagine heat would help but i dont know of any tricks or anyone whose done it before. 

If its beyond saving you can still get replacement lamps on ebay, but theyre not bosch and ship from the US: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392038428811?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=1ouKfcuWQBO&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=d-k9ZEaNTZm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY 

Theres someone on here who has ordered a pair but i cant remember who it was - had a aerodeck though

Really cool find! I'll try to repair the Bosch ones first, but if they end up being impossible to repair I'll definitely order a pair of those.

21 minutes ago, RuifcNunes said:

Really cool find! I'll try to repair the Bosch ones first, but if they end up being impossible to repair I'll definitely order a pair of those.

I cant take any credit, it was this guy that found them, got some close up images of the lights aswell:

57 minutes ago, dan1 said:

I cant take any credit, it was this guy that found them, got some close up images of the lights aswell:

Really nice, very similar to mine, but I wish I had those wheels.. 

Thanks for the help!