Front Fog Lights Disassembly

RuifcNunes

Question

Hi, 

I've managed to find these fog lights that seem quite rare and I was hunting for a while. 

However I am happy with the find, they require some repairs and I can't seem to find a way to open them, not even to change a bulb. So, I was wondering if anyone here knows their way around these fog lights that could help me. 

PS: Ignore the side markers on the attached photo. 

Best Regards, 

Rui Nunes

IMG_20221018_123154.jpg

• Like 1

Just wondering if you could maybe clean them up/treat the rust then cover the inside of the lense with that tin foil tape (not sure what its called)? That way it would still be reflective? 

I'm going to try to treat the rust and see if they still have good metal underneath it. I was thinking of nickel plating them and then polish the best I could. 

What thin foil tape? Do you have any pictures or something? Always open to new ideas.. 

On 10/19/2022 at 9:38 PM, dan1 said:

Hi Rui,

Once the rubber cover is removed the textured part twists off anticlockwise. Ive attached a photo to show. Can be really stiff if they havent been removed in a while. 

Cheers, Dan

20221019_213223.jpg

I had only opened one of my fog lights because it was the worse condition one, but now I am trying to open the other one an it's impossible. Can't rotate the part no matter what I do. Did you just use brute force or do you have any tip? 

5 hours ago, RuifcNunes said:

I had only opened one of my fog lights because it was the worse condition one, but now I am trying to open the other one an it's impossible. Can't rotate the part no matter what I do. Did you just use brute force or do you have any tip? 

Probably just a matter of brute force but id be worried about the plastic snapping or similar!

Could always use some penetrating fluid like you would with bolts to try get rid of some of the crap but it could discolour the plastic so im not sure?