Civic MB3 Ignition coil gone bad?

Folmann

Question

Hi everyone.

My MB3 won't spark, and I'm currently trying to figure out what is wrong. 

Took out the coil, and tried to measure the resistance of the primary and secondary. 

Can't fint any specific data on what the resistance should be. 

The resistance of my coil is:

Primary 1.2 ohms

Secondary 26.4 KOms

Is it fine or should I get a new one?

Thanks

IMG20230417184420.jpg

IMG20230417184430.jpg

9 answers to this question

Not a question we've had before I don't think mate. Wondering if the good ole Hayne's book of bollocks might have the answer? I've got one in the garage, will try and find it tomorrow and have a look for you. If no spark most likely is the coil pack, although not a common fault on these. Are you seeing any EML by any chance? If so might be the ignitor in the dizzy that's faulty (happens on the B18 and almost sure the D series have the ignitor as well).

Update:

Ok, from searching, it sounds like the primary should be reading no more than .8 and the secondary should be between 16 and 20. Got a video here >> 

That's for a Honda Civic coil 92 to 2000 so should cover ours. There may be two different types though as comments show this: according to Haynes manual, if you have a 1996-2000 Civic with a Hitchachi distributor: primary resistance is 0.45-0.55 and secondary resistance is 22.4-33.6k-ohms

The engine light was showing before. But couldn't read any codes when I tried to. When i try reading the codes, the engine light won't change. Only srs will go on. (Tried both connectors)

It stopped giving any spark after i hit a pothole. Have stuttered a couple of times in the past. But not any major problems. 

I'm not very experienced on all the ignition stuff. 

Yeah the ignition stuff can be a minefield. The comments on that video are quite useful too if you have a read through. Bit about the primary reading "1" is explained a bit too. Not entirely convinced your coil is bad though (know that doesn't help!) even though primary is reading a bit high, is there any way you could maybe pick up one cheap at the breakers just to try it on yours?

There's 11 MB3's registered with plates in Denmark. So I think it would be near impossible to find any at the breakers. B-parts might be the only options. 

Found one at the local parts shop for 40$. Might pick that up and and check the resistance on a brand new one. 

• Like 1

A little update:

Bought Haynes and it has arrived.

For d15z8:

Primary - 0.45 to 55 ohms. Secondary - 22.4 to 33.6 k-ohms. 

Will change the coil, and come with an update. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info bud, always help memebrs in the future too if we have info/readings like this available in the forum. So looking at the readings against the new one, deffo looks like the primary coil has gone. 

• Like 1

Update:

Bought a new ignition coil, no luck.

Then ordered a new distributor from b-parts. Measured it, and installed it. Without luck.. again.. 

Might be the crankshaft potion sensor?