wow! 1.5 kgs is a canny bit of extra weight to spin!

I haven't weighed em yet... will have to now though out of curiosity :l)

do know that I soon swapped my old spare steel affair for an original alloy.. :lol:

anyone know if you can get space savers for vtis?

just had a wheel off so thought I'd weigh it - 16.7kg (including new light nuts)

still heavier than the standards, but not as bad as I thought. :)

• 4 weeks later...

hello 'doctor',

I see you are one of the few MC2 guys having fitted the ebay mgzs rear ARB, a mod a plan to do too.

But that got me thinking again why HondaRover didn't put one on the MC2 as standard, compared to the MB6 who has one OEM... and I came up with this pausible (?) explication:

Compared to a MB6, MC2s due to their their estate-design have more weight on the back, meaning you push it to the limits, it tends to oversteer more. They (HondaRover test crew) have maybe experienced too much oversteer with the ARB fitted and maybe they decided not to install it so as to keep the natural understeer feel of the FF-layout normal drivers are used to. "We know this will give a bad turn in, but with the Torsen-effect the better turn-out will wipe this disadvantage away..." could have been said...

What is your opinion on this matter?

What does the back-end do when you push the car a bit hard? Isn't it too lively now?

With out the ARB i found the arse end just went where it pleased. With it folows the front alot better. Id guess they didnt fit one because it is an estate and as such wouldnt be subjected to spirited driving so a easy cost saving. As to why lsd and strut braces were fitted to a wobbly arse estate i have no idea.

yep strange, that's why I came out my explanation, don't think it's a budget decision in that way...

bonus question while we are at it: concerning the bracket holes in the chassis, are those tapped in OEM already or not? So just use the tap set to clean out the existing tap?

Thanks for your input parkesie already!

hello 'doctor',

I see you are one of the few MC2 guys having fitted the ebay mgzs rear ARB, a mod a plan to do too.

But that got me thinking again why HondaRover didn't put one on the MC2 as standard, compared to the MB6 who has one OEM... and I came up with this pausible (?) explication:

Compared to a MB6, MC2s due to their their estate-design have more weight on the back, meaning you push it to the limits, it tends to oversteer more. They (HondaRover test crew) have maybe experienced too much oversteer with the ARB fitted and maybe they decided not to install it so as to keep the natural understeer feel of the FF-layout normal drivers are used to. "We know this will give a bad turn in, but with the Torsen-effect the better turn-out will wipe this disadvantage away..." could have been said...

What is your opinion on this matter?

What does the back-end do when you push the car a bit hard? Isn't it too lively now?

hi bepilot.

agree with parksie.. the rear end follows much better, but you can feel it most at the front... feels nice and pointy when turning in.

I do quite often have the back loaded up when camping, but not since fitting the arb, so can't say if it tends to oversteer when giving it some beans, but when it's empty it's just much more settled.

wonder if it was something they thought would be a way to keep the weight close to the mb?

yeah, the holes are in the chassis already, just need 10 years of crud cleaning out :lol:

cheers bud - I wish the paintwork was as good as it looks in the pics... when it needs a polish you can see all the small scratches and swirls.

still, got a good deal on some clay bar, so will give it some love when the sun comes back :D