22 minutes ago, Dave said:

FFS mate that's not good! Did the garage doing the welding not check her over fully for any more that might be needing done, I mean they've had her long enough! Absolute pia bud, I feel your pain. On the plus side, we can't really go out anywhere just now cos of this stupid lock down so suppose that kinda takes a bit of the sting out, but still, more work, more cash and more waiting.

Total PIA. 

The jacking points were one of the things that I knew needed doing first, from trying to jack it up and them just folding! 

Yeah, the underseal was done by the garage doing the welding, so my usual mechanic didn't spot it - his ramp lifts the chassis, but the garage doing the mot's ramp used the jacking points. 

Apparently he noticed the hole when checking the bushes, and the pokey tool went straight through. 

• Sad 1

I think I'd be losing the plot with the garage that did the welding mate, the fact the underseal is everywhere except on the chassis that is rotted they should have really spotted that, and to not do the jacking points when you'd already said.......I'd be raging! Especially with the amount of time they've had it!

I gather that's all she failed on though? I mean, mk2 mx5's fail on their front chassis legs on a daily basis but even those can be replaced now so shouldn't be too bad to repair? Is that at the rear, looks like the handbrake cables in view?

Amazing they missed this, after you asking them and undersealing nearby. The jacking points are easy enough to do but the area around the trailing arm bush mounting points not so easy - difficult to get at without removing the arm and depends how far away you have to go to find good metal to weld to. Could it be they knew it would be a pain to do and just left it ?

Incidentally, on mine which is pretty good generally underneath, this is the only area (both sides) that had been previously welded. Having re-rustproofed the areas recently, had chance to have a good look at the welding. The area welded extends from the bottom of the inner arch to the inner sill and jacking points plus a bit onto the chassis, all interlinked . And a plate for the rear seat-belt mountings. In all, 5 or 6 plates - not a small job and repeat to do both sides. Thing is though, looking at the cars MOT history it failed on corrosion to rear suspension and seatbelt mountings - the next day (!) the welding had been done and passed its MOT. Both MOTs were at a Honda dealer, so maybe they did the welding ?

Anyway - just shows whats possible in a day - never mind 3 months !! 

2 hours ago, Dave said:

I think I'd be losing the plot with the garage that did the welding

To be honest, I don't know if I can be arsed with the grief at the minute... Won't get me anywhere apart from blowing off some steam and getting more stressed. I certainly won't want them to be putting it right. 

• Like 1

Just now, dr_broon said:

To be honest, I don't know if I can be arsed with the grief at the minute... Won't get me anywhere apart from blowing off some steam and getting more stressed. I certainly won't want them to be putting it right. 

Yeah man, things like that are very very frustrating, trust me, everything i did to cars turned into a nightmare! 

Best thing would be to take car elsewhere for the work and MOT at your leisure or when funds are topped up. 

Dont give up!!!

• Like 2

Oh ffs really sorry mate. What a pain. 

Nothing worse that having car somewhere so long then being dissapointed. 

I'm sure it's all redeemable. It's a shame your not down this way as Rich is the man for that sort of repair. You would never know it's been done.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Rich is the man for that sort of repair. You would never know it's been done.

Is that Rich Ellis from Dynodaze?

• Like 2