If your phones on a more recent version of android you need to do the manual hotspot thing as android doesn't let other apps change WiFi settings any more. You need to enable developer mode on android auto on your phone to be able to manually start the server. I haven't been able to get it to work automatically from detecting Bluetooth. 

There's a wiki on line with the guides on. 

Edit.... 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-4-1-headunit-reloaded-for-android-auto-with-wifi.3432348/

Method 2 on this 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, dr_broon said:

If your phones on a more recent version of android you need to do the manual hotspot thing as android doesn't let other apps change WiFi settings any more. You need to enable developer mode on android auto on your phone to be able to manually start the server. I haven't been able to get it to work automatically from detecting Bluetooth. 

There's a wiki on line with the guides on. 

Edit.... 

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/android-4-1-headunit-reloaded-for-android-auto-with-wifi.3432348/

Method 2 on this 

Nice one cheers mate. I'll have a look.

Excellent timing as I currently have a hire van with Android auto and it's great isn't it!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not happy 

Just got a letter from the DVLA saying that the car has to have a Q plate on. 

This is after they told me that it didn't need one, but that I couldn't keep the tubs reg, and then sent me out a new V5. 

So now I've got to go through the faff of getting a new VIN number stamped on, and have a feckin Q plate that I can't change or get a private reg! 

blowupsmiley.gif

52 minutes ago, dr_broon said:

Not happy 

Just got a letter from the DVLA saying that the car has to have a Q plate on. 

This is after they told me that it didn't need one, but that I couldn't keep the tubs reg, and then sent me out a new V5. 

So now I've got to go through the faff of getting a new VIN number stamped on, and have a feckin Q plate that I can't change or get a private reg! 

blowupsmiley.gif

For fudges sake. 

Any possibility of seeing if can have the last letters as TUB? Or summit.

Totally over the moon that they reversed the decision. They had made it so that both of the original registrations were void, and issued a new vin.

I was going to have to get the old vin obliterated, get a new one stamped on to the chassis, get a new vin plate fitted, then apply for a VSA inspection which could take a month to get sorted, and then register it with the DVLA when they'd issue a Q plate. 

• Like 2