Been doing a bit of carpentry today. 

Changing the roof speakers... 

IMG_20220521_154737.jpg

Cut two pieces out of 18mm mdf, one with the template for the speakers, the other with a smaller hole so I could use two of the screw holes for the original speakers. 

IMG_20220521_154742.jpg

Stuck some self adhesive sound proofing foam to the back to help it form to the shape of the roof and protect the roof liner.  

Screwed the first part to the roof. 

IMG_20220521_160941.jpg

Then the second piece to the first, and the speaker into that. 

IMG_20220521_161409.jpg

Stick out quite a bit, but should blend in more when covered. Also, might be able to tighten to the roof a bit more or once the foam is a bit more compressed. 

IMG_20220521_161943.jpg

IMG_20220521_161957.jpg

IMG_20220521_163406.jpg

Need to get some matching fabric to cover them. 

Much better sound than these pathetic things.. 

IMG_20220521_154758.jpg

Little bit more work today, had the bumper off to put a new horn on, and see if I could see anything obvious with the wiring that makes the horn sound if I turn the rear fog lights on without having the front ones on first (I couldn't...). 

IMG_20220522_140322.jpg

Had a good mess about trying to see if there was any way to fit the RAYBRIG DC5 fog lights I got ages ago - looks like if I drill out the rivets, I'll be able to re rivet them to what's left of the original brackets after butchering them to fit the ring ones all those years ago - they've even got the same connector. Not sure how they'll look without the plastic cover though. 

Also took some measurements of my springs so that I can see about getting some better shocks... Gaz shocks said they should have some that fit, but needed the internal diameter of the spring. 

Fingers crossed because the oem spec ones can't damp the eibach springs at all well. 

Test fit of the fog lights after butchering the DC5 ones a wee bit, chopped the rivets of to get them off their own mounts, and had to chop some bits of brackets off so they fit in the space. First time I've used the cutting disks on the dremel.. Quite handy. 

IMG_20220526_200844.jpg

One new, one old

IMG_20220526_200943.jpg

Two new

IMG_20220526_205452.jpg

Better than these tired old Ring Illuminators.. Was never happy with them and put up with them for at least 10 / 12 years 

IMG_20220526_214134.jpg

Couldn't resist taking a purple pic when the sun came out during a car wash today. 

IMG_20220528_124234.jpg

Good wash and wax, and some vacuuming action as well. 

Also, got the gummi phledge out to revive the rubbers and plastic. Such great stuff. Comes up like new... 

IMG_20220528_192732.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Looks great don't it. 

How's the sound now with ya new setup?

Yeah, love the purple... Wish it could be there all the time. :x

Sound's much better... Got some vibration from the sub enclosure but I think it needs some better mounting points.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the sound now. A while ago I got some new door speakers off ebay, which weren't what the ad said they were, but turned out to be the optional extras for the car anyway, and they sound much better, as well as being a direct swap. Happy days. 

Just need to figure out what I'm going to do with the mounts for the roof ones as they fairly stick out. Thinking of attacking them with the sander to round the corners off, but that will make covering them more difficult. 

11 minutes ago, KiNK43 said:

How is your sub? Alex chandler is selling a real nice custom enclosure. Is that how your is?

It's one that Grant had in that I inherited.. It's pretty good, fits in nice, I just need to come up with a better way to attach it, as it's pretty much just screwed into the liner behind. The rattle was coming from the plastic trim under the window, so should be easy to sort. 

IMG_20210703_132347.jpg

• Like 1