Just had a read on Wikipedia about the LSD, namely the differences in 1way, 1.5way and 2way.

Broadly speaking, there are three input torque states: load, no load, and overrun. During load conditions, as previously stated, the coupling is proportional to the input torque. With no load, the coupling is reduced to the static coupling. The behavior on overrun (particularly sudden throttle release) determines whether the LSD is 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way.

A 2-way differential will have the same limiting torque Trq d in both the forward and reverse directions. This means the differential will provide some level of limiting under engine braking.

A 1-way differential will provide its limiting action in only one direction. When torque is applied in the opposite direction it behaves like an open differential. In the case of a FWD car it is argued to be safer than a 2-way differential.[6] The argument is if there is no additional coupling on overrun, i.e. a 1-way LSD as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of ploughing forward.[6]

A 1.5-way differential refers to one where the forward and reverse limiting torques, Trq d_fwd, d_rev , are different but neither is zero as in the case of the 1-way LSD. This type of differential is common in racing cars where a strong limiting torque can aid stability under engine braking.

So it sounds like for our cars we should go no further than 1.5way!

Yeah 56mph at 3k sounds about right for mine too!

:oops: Checked last on way to work as it got me thinking! You're right enough mate, mine goes between 56mph - 58mph depending on the road. Must have been going downhill when I got the 60mph at 3k! :lol:

Yeah 56mph at 3k sounds about right for mine too!

:oops: Checked last on way to work as it got me thinking! You're right enough mate, mine goes between 56mph - 58mph depending on the road. Must have been going downhill when I got the 60mph at 3k! :lol:

I had begun to wonder if it was just me losing my marbles for a minute there! :lol:

Just had a read on Wikipedia about the LSD, namely the differences in 1way, 1.5way and 2way.
Broadly speaking, there are three input torque states: load, no load, and overrun. During load conditions, as previously stated, the coupling is proportional to the input torque. With no load, the coupling is reduced to the static coupling. The behavior on overrun (particularly sudden throttle release) determines whether the LSD is 1 way, 1.5 way, or 2 way.

A 2-way differential will have the same limiting torque Trq d in both the forward and reverse directions. This means the differential will provide some level of limiting under engine braking.

A 1-way differential will provide its limiting action in only one direction. When torque is applied in the opposite direction it behaves like an open differential. In the case of a FWD car it is argued to be safer than a 2-way differential.[6] The argument is if there is no additional coupling on overrun, i.e. a 1-way LSD as soon as the driver lifts the throttle, the LSD unlocks and behaves somewhat like a conventional open differential. This is also the best for FWD cars, as it allows the car to turn in on throttle release, instead of ploughing forward.[6]

A 1.5-way differential refers to one where the forward and reverse limiting torques, Trq d_fwd, d_rev , are different but neither is zero as in the case of the 1-way LSD. This type of differential is common in racing cars where a strong limiting torque can aid stability under engine braking.

fully customisable as per gran turismo [smitten.gif]

:lol:

fully customisable as per gran turismo [smitten.gif]

:lol:

I love Gran Turismo! In GT3 I had a Mini Cooper GT, the old school 1300cc one with the stripes!

Had the race spec gearbox and managed to set it up in such a way it could you out accelerate the RUF RGT, fully tuned which was a little over 1000bhp or so, this was with the driver aids turned off, my brother was quite frustrated because I had set this Mini up so well! I was proud! Then the house got broken into and the PS2 was stolen along with my save.....damnit! :lol:[smash.gif]

just got back from ploughing the car, on private roads of course ;) still the same, confidence levels and grip due to LSD are great accelerating in to and through a bend,....

but once i have to de-celerate or change up a gear my foot has to stay on the pedal or front end kicks out quick. very noticable and scary.

i think that it's amplified a bit with the lighter flywheel - used to get it down a gear or two, and if i needed to slow down, would let the engine braking do most of the work, but it doesn't have as much effect now, I've found myself braking more than I used to before a bend to be able to keep the power there on the bends.

hadn't thought about the lsd being only engaged on the power... think it must mask some of the problems with the handling of the chassis. more bracing required I reckon:)

never noticed it before the gearbox work though :)

still brill though... suprised someone in a wee sporty renault tonight on the way home. :D

• 1 month later...