Oil, some basic advice.

oilman

Honda list the 10w-40 as it is a more easily available oil in all parts of the world. The 5w-40 is a better choice as it's a better quality oil and gives better cold start protection.

Cheers

Tim

Honda list the 10w-40 as it is a more easily available oil in all parts of the world. The 5w-40 is a better choice as it's a better quality oil and gives better cold start protection.

Cheers

Tim

Up to you mate, your choice!!

You have a guy who knows his oil and sells all kinds of oils for all different applications, or a guy who has worked for Honda for 13 years.

Both oils are fine, but Honda recommend 10w40 for our engines.

Which oil....you decide!! :lol:

Up to you mate, your choice!!

You have a guy who knows his oil and sells all kinds of oils for all different applications, or a guy who has worked for Honda for 13 years.

Both oils are fine, but Honda recommend 10w40 for our engines.

Which oil....you decide!! :lol:

• 1 month later...

i only know that newer hondas are very reliant on good oil quality, not sure about older ones really, i just work on the principal of keeping the level topped up and havent had any problems. my old car, a 1998 1.2 clio, i covered 56k in it and changed the oil and filter only once, it was filled with ford oil 15w30 i think, i topped it up with castrol gtx 10w 40 which i thought was semi synth, but was told its mineral, not sure now... but for the rest of the mileage it still ran perfectly and still does now @ 124k, (purchased @ 68k) 1 oil change in 56k!!!!!

I should probably have said oil grade rather than just oils. Yes, they do like good oil quality, but I would change it more often than you do. Although a lot of cars (of all brands) are on long life service schedules, we're noticing on a lot of forums people with 5 or 6 year old cars (ie out of manufacturer warranty) are mentioning sludge build ups etc. For the cost of less than a tank of fuel, I'd probably change it at 10k/12 months

• Dave unpinned this topic