Oil, some basic advice.

oilman

Reading this thread with interest. thanks Oilman for the great info. Ive been running Mobil Super 2000 (X1 I think it is now) 10w-40 semi synth since 80 k(was Mobil S way back then) when I 1st  took on the car and it's now at 220k, I  change it myself using  a genuine honda filter every 6k. I find it's using a bit of oil now, but nothing excessive, I meter it so i can confirm amounts if interested. would this be valve stem oil seals ? is this still a good oil do you reckon for me / us to use ? 

I need to to change the g/box oil again, used the genuine Honda MTF last time, but is your recommendation right back at the start of this thread for the Redline MTF still what youd recommend for a decent g/box oil  ? could you post a link pls. Ive found it shifts nicely at this time of year but can be a little notchy in the summer, maybe needs a slightly thicker oil then ? 

Aerodeck VTI btw, with stock B18C4 engine. 

On 10/30/2019 at 11:42 PM, mc2hammer said:

Reading this thread with interest. thanks Oilman for the great info. Ive been running Mobil Super 2000 (X1 I think it is now) 10w-40 semi synth since 80 k(was Mobil S way back then) when I 1st  took on the car and it's now at 220k, I  change it myself using  a genuine honda filter every 6k. I find it's using a bit of oil now, but nothing excessive, I meter it so i can confirm amounts if interested. would this be valve stem oil seals ? is this still a good oil do you reckon for me / us to use ? 

I need to to change the g/box oil again, used the genuine Honda MTF last time, but is your recommendation right back at the start of this thread for the Redline MTF still what youd recommend for a decent g/box oil  ? could you post a link pls. Ive found it shifts nicely at this time of year but can be a little notchy in the summer, maybe needs a slightly thicker oil then ? 

Aerodeck VTI btw, with stock B18C4 engine. 

I'm not a mechanic whatsoever, but personaly, I don't cheap out on oil. Keep using good quality oil, even when it burns a bit of it. Check if it burns oil when you'll step on it, or when you let you foot off the gaspedal. If its with pttm(pedal to the metal) it's you're rings, if its when you'll let of the gas, it's most likely the stemseals.

About the gearbox oil, I'd use the MTF 3, just because the most Honda guys which drive them a long period allways tend to us it, but I'm no expert at this ;)

thanks Koen, will check exhaust on accel / deccel, also planning to do a compression test. should tell me a bit more about the engine health in general. emissions are usually fine though. if it's burning a lot I would expect to see increase e.g. in HC levels, which I dont. 

will stick with the MTF3. fine with that, as I prob still have some left over from last change, so makes sense all round. 

Oil analysis is also done for older / classic cars - could be worth a go ? has anyone tried it ? 

also looked at use of additives, like STP oil treatment, but wouldnt risk in VTEC motor unless I knew it was ok to use. Again, all thoughts welcome !

cheers

• Dave unpinned this topic