b20/b18c4 sleeved turbo engine build

civicturbo79

Well im starting a build up thread for my engine. for those of you that do not know anything about it, its a b18b darton sleeved block from the states ,bored out to 84.5 mm to make it a 2066cc b20 ,with a b18c4 head mod'ed to fit on to the non vtec bottom end ,Given you a b20 vtec . :D .

Well to start off the pistons turned up today 30/7/09. i have now taken them to the mechine shop for them to be matched to the bores so i should have them back the middle of next week and then the tread will start filling up with pictures and wright up.

enginebuildup.jpg

Well were do you start with this lot

enginebuildaftergordon003.jpg

With the block

enginebuildaftergordon005.jpg

Fit one half of the main bearings and thrust washers to the block make sure you oil them .

enginebuildaftergordon006.jpg

Then put the crankshaft into place.

enginebuildaftergordon007.jpg

Put the other half of the main bearings into the crankshaft retainers . (oil the crankshaft and bearings ) then fit the retainers and torque up with a torque wrench.

enginebuildaftergordon008.jpg

Onto the pistons .

enginebuildaftergordon009.jpg

Remove the old and damaged pistons , remove the circlips holding the king pins in place and the push out the king pin to release the piston from the rod.

enginebuildaftergordon010.jpg

The new pistons

enginebuildaftergordon011.jpg

Take the new piston (with no rings) and fit the new ring ( this is a fiddley jod and its easy to break the ring so time and care is need .

enginebuildaftergordon012.jpg

enginebuildaftergordon013.jpg

Re-fit the new pistons to the rods in the same way as they were removed.

enginebuildaftergordon014.jpg

Time to fit the pistons in to the block . start by compressing the piston rings with a piston ring compresser . lower the piston into the bore , very lightly tap the top of the piston with a hammer shaft until the piston is fully in the bore ( if the piston does not seem to want to go in ,do not hit the piston hard or you will smash the ring , start again re-apply the ring compresser and try again).

enginebuildaftergordon016.jpg

Put one half of the big end bearing onto the con rod (must oil ) push the piston down till it meets the crankshaft .

enginebuildaftergordon017.jpg

Put the other half of the big end bearing onto the con rod re-tainer bolt the 2 half together and torque up with a torque wrench.

enginebuildaftergordon018.jpg

enginebuildaftergordon019.jpg

At this point you have the crankshaft and the pistons fitted

enginebuildaftergordon021.jpg

Well after all the fiddley bits yesterday the engine went together mush faster today

Starting with cleaning up the surfaces for the gasket sealer for the gearbox end crank seal .

enginebuildgordon2002.jpg

enginebuildgordon2003.jpg

enginebuildgordon2004.jpg

enginebuildgordon2005.jpg

Run a seam of sealer around the edge of the crank seal and the fit to the block and torque up.

enginebuildgordon2012.jpg

enginebuildgordon2013.jpg

After that clean up the surfaces for the the sump gasket and the oil pump

enginebuildgordon2009.jpg

enginebuildgordon2011.jpg

Fit the oil pump and torque up

enginebuildgordon2014.jpg

Fit the oil catch tray and torque up .

enginebuildgordon2015.jpg

Fit the oil pick up pipe and torque up.

enginebuildgordon2018.jpg

Fit sump and torque up .

enginebuildgordon2020.jpg

As i did not have my new oil pump from the states :evil: i have only do those pictures so you can see the order you would build it in if you had all the parts.

On to the water pump clean up all surfaces and apply a seam of sealer to the edge then fit to the block and torque up.

enginebuildgordon2021.jpg

enginebuildgordon2022.jpg

The clutch

enginebuildgordon2024.jpg

Start by cleaning the flywheel just to make sure there is no grease or dirt on it and then bolt it to the crank and torque up .

enginebuildgordon2025.jpg

Using a clutch alignment tool

enginebuildgordon2026.jpg

Make sure the sticking out side of the clutch plate goes into the pressure plate

enginebuildgordon2027.jpg

enginebuildgordon2028.jpg

Then fit on to the flywheel and bolt it to it and torque up and remove the alignment tool ( clutch is on a set up ).

enginebuildgordon2030.jpg

enginebuildgordon2031.jpg

This is were the hole thing starts speeding up as you are fitting large parts .

This will take 2 people lift the gearbox into place it can be a pain .Some wiggling and pushing should see you get it on . get 1 person to hold the box in place why you bolt it up .

enginebuildgordon2034.jpg

Again with 2 poeple turn the hole lot over

enginebuildgordon2035.jpg

Fit the starter motor

enginebuildgordon2036.jpg

enginebuildgordon2037.jpg

On to the back of the block

enginebuildgordon2038.jpg

Fit the rear engine mount anfthe half driveshaft

enginebuildgordon2039.jpg

fit the oil t piece to the original oil pressure switch hole his will feed the oil pressure gauge and the oil feed to the head to inable you to have vtec .

enginebuildgordon2041.jpg

Fit the sandwich plate to the oil filter house this will supply oil to the turbo

enginebuildgordon2042.jpg

Fit the alternator and brackets .

enginebuildgordon2043.jpg

enginebuildgordon2044.jpg

Fit the cambelt side engine mount and the cam belt tensioner pulley.

enginebuildgordon2045.jpg

enginebuildgordon2046.jpg

On to the front of the engine . fitting the n/s/f lower engine mount and the lower power steering pump bracket .

enginebuildgordon2047.jpg

enginebuildgordon2048.jpg

Back around to the back of the engine for the crank casr breather box

enginebuildgordon2049.jpg

enginebuildgordon2050.jpg

Fit the locating pegs into the block to help you locate the head gasket

enginebuildgordon2051.jpg

On a vtec block next to the locating peg on the left the is an ovel shape in the casting with a pot in it that would be a hole for the vtec oil feed . But as the block was non vtec b20 there is no oil feed hole that why i need the oil line from the back of the block .

enginebuildgordon2052.jpg

But the headgasket on making sure uts the right way up but it is marked

enginebuildgordon2053.jpg

enginebuildgordon2054.jpg

On to the head as you can see in the top right of the picture the vtec oil feed hole has been blanked off .

enginebuildgordon2055.jpg

enginebuildgordon2056.jpg

You will need 2 people just to make life easier lift and place the head onto the block. Put the head bolts in and torque up with a torque wrench.

enginebuildgordon2057.jpg

Were the cam locates oil well

enginebuildgordon2059.jpg

Place the cam into the locaters in the head .

enginebuildgordon2062.jpg

Clean up and Seal the ends of the cam retainers (to stop oil leaks ) and fit the cam oil seals .

enginebuildgordon2063.jpg

enginebuildgordon2064.jpg

Then fit all the retainers to the cams .

enginebuildgordon2065.jpg

Now fit the oil rails wilth all the retaining bolts .

enginebuildgordon2066.jpg

enginebuildgordon2067.jpg

Make sure the oil seals are located right and put the bung in the other end of the exhaust cam . Then torque the hole thing down with a torque wrench.

enginebuildgordon2068.jpg

enginebuildgordon2069.jpg

As you can see from this picture this is how the oil feed line goes from the t piece to the head for the vtec oil feed .

enginebuildgordon2070.jpg

Fit the distrubiter .

enginebuildgordon2075.jpg

Now the engine is starting to take shape .

enginebuildgordon2073.jpg

Now to fit the inlet manifold bolt it to the head a torque down and refit a all the pipe and wires to the engine .

enginebuildgordon2076.jpg

enginebuildgordon2077.jpg

On to the timing of the engine.

start by fitting the bottom pulley washer to the end of the crank sticking out of the end of the oil pump,then the bottom pulley and the the second washer and place the timing belt around it like so .

work1002.jpg

Then fit the bottom timing belt cover making sure before you do so that the timing belt is around the tensioner and the water pump.

work1003.jpg

Then fit the upper inner timing cover

work1004.jpg

The fit the 2 cam gears making sure to get the wood ruff keys located correctly.Then put the retaining bolt in as tight as you can by hand .

work1005.jpg

Then fit the crank pulley and torque up.

work1006.jpg

Line the 2 cam gears up with the timing marks on the cover behind them . and line the crank pulley up to the marks on the cover behind that .

work1012.jpg

work1017.jpg

At this point put the belt around the 2 cam gears making sure to do not move the pulleys off any of there marks , make sure the tensioner bolt is not tight .turn the engine over twice by hand ,if the timing marks are all still right and you have no problems turning the engine over , torque the tensioner bolt up the tensioner is self adjusting so the belt tension will be spot on , put on the last timing cover and you are done .

work1018.jpg

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

I have started building so i have added text and pictures to the first post so its a complete post all the way through its build. Have a look and let me know what you think . Rich.

Thanks for the posts guys

im working on it again tomorrow so ill have some more pictures for you .

Im still waiting on my oil pump at the min :evil: so i can not do things in the normal order but i should get most of the engine done tomorrow . Rich.

Archived