VTEC in 3rd

Dave

OK, this is a strange one, and could possibly just be my imagination. Was out in the MB6 the other day, and accelerated as we were joining a motorway. I'm almost certain that VTEC did not kick in in 3rd gear, and even said to dawn it felt slow. Then carried on our way, didnt think any more about it.

Few days later, and same kinda scene, entering motorway (in 2nd) and accelerated down slip road. Vtec kicked in, then into 3rd gear, and watched the revs/listened to the sound as I hit 4.5k, no change? car felt like deff no vtec. Into 4th, felt the same, not the usual zoom!

I've checked the oil, it's fine, and up to the mark. Just not sure if its possible to have vtec engage in one gear but not another? Or would it be all gears or none at all? Deff a strange one! Or could be i'm just too used to it now? :o

Other days its quite obvious when VTEC is coming on

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you have checked the oil , and there is no lights on the dash , Whwn was the last time you changed the oil and what did you use , vtec is controlled by the vtec solenoid / ecu and oil pressure so if the solenoid works it can only really be oil pressure , I would start by taken the vtec solenoid off there is only 10 mm bolts holding it on and them clean out the filter inside and why its off give it a 12v feed and make sure its working , if that does not work i would change the oil and filter . Rich.

she's due an oil change so suppose it could be that then. Just running standard airfilter etc at the moment. I'll take out the solenoid when im off work and clean it out. Need to get her in for a service now groan!

Archived