MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

1 hour ago, Dexter said:

Amazing job. Can't wait to hear how it performs on track. Any particular reason you opted for AEM v2 instead of Hondata, for example? I've been considering both for my deck.

Cheers

I wanted to be able to use the AEM COP kit which is plug and play with the AEM v2, have CANBUS to connect to the digital dashboard, which the AEM has and compatible with the Race Technologies Dash 3 and the tuning is relatively easy with the free software.  The dashboard gets all the engine data now down 2 wires so is nice a clean to wire in! 

I am going to try and see if the CANBUS will connect to the OBD2 Bluetooth dongle so I can transmit data to my Garmin VIRB XE camera but that's a longer term project as I can't find anyone thats managed to get it to work. 

The AEM will also run throttle bodies (alpha n tuning?) and compatible with Honda and aftermarket sensors.  Not sure about the ECU's but I've found that I can get help from AEM very easily when I've needed it on the wiring.  

11 hours ago, Dexter said:

Amazing job. Can't wait to hear how it performs on track. Any particular reason you opted for AEM v2 instead of Hondata, for example? I've been considering both for my deck.

also Hondata isn't as quick and can't handle the ITBS as well as AEM ecu. i planned on hondata but was told by Maz at Hond-R and Romain the mapper that it can be done but wont right

Ok good to know. Interesting stuff, i haven't researched aftermarket ecus that much but always had the impression Hondata was the way to go. And guess still is a pretty valid choice, unless runnings itbs or digidashes for example like in your cases? Though heard that tuning itbs can be a pain to set up right even with the proper software!

9 hours ago, Dexter said:

Ok good to know. Interesting stuff, i haven't researched aftermarket ecus that much but always had the impression Hondata was the way to go. And guess still is a pretty valid choice, unless runnings itbs or digidashes for example like in your cases? Though heard that tuning itbs can be a pain to set up right even with the proper software!

I've helped build 3 engines this year with ITBs (2 MX-5s and a Skoda) and not had any issues yet but it is a different type of tuning and setup.  It also comes down to what support you can get locally, it you mapper can only do Hondata then you could be stuck unless you can access someone else.  I'm not saying there's anything wrong with Hondata or Chrome etc., the AEM fitted my needs better

Didn’t have that much of a problem with mine. Because the ITBS I got have been made brilliantly. Just a little Tweek on them but nothing major. No vacuum issues either. Just a case of not enough compression so new pistons going in ha ha 

Quick update - fitted some of the subframe collar to the car the other night. Easy job but looks like it will make a big difference!  Had to loosen all the bolts and drop the 4 long bolts out 1 at a time to fit

YK5lyVbHpSi76LTtr1BM-M_0g7XiAexiWsbKebb8

Few bits going in the bay, and I'm about to start the wiring back to the bulkhead plug

3yIHiTmKHZpe7SyEnvLcPcJO14z8BuoIw5qvx32i

mcPYGyE7ni_epXnYS2BFORnXeoqK-SYk8BhSduos

muRK2fFDj2Ib50PwWVKwXkYOfn9YZY0jrvM2xj11

xYJBU61YxgiZ5pzGgRSguWGXWNcNg4KTOs1v6G4D

JoxIN6fVlIGLhBgxZHNewnyxAh60BLFMreTkBXMe

17 hours ago, Chandler said:

looks dirty already!

Engine bay is matt blue so against the gloss blue body panels it looks very dirty!  It's not though but probably will be as I'll be climbing in and out all weekend to do the engine quick disconnect!

• Like 1