MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

On 02/02/2018 at 1:08 PM, Dave said:

It will be done. Need to find somewhere that can also drill out a snapped rocker cover bolt as it snapped when I fitted the new cover (bloody brand new bolts from honda they were too!). Oh so much to do! Lol

Most machine shops can sort out.  5 minute job and some beers ;)

• Like 1

Got further with the front hubs.  I took them into work to press the bearings in but the press is pretty basic and wasn't up to the task.  Plan B needed!  I managed with to press them in with my dads old hydraulic press and the old bearing shell in a few minutes

VCULwB5nKu5aTX12YlujF7lSptH6XVp_k3lJ5ZKm

0w_FX2JgnlqvlGqcecNXsCWy_yEKcWpd1EqJBZpS

I didn't think to bring a set of circlip pliers so cant lock in the bearing and press in the spindle but should have access to more tools tomorrow.  Hard bit is done now though

QVMDSIrwCTgpUftMkyrsN_P0I24Bt3q7E8OX9hJk

Dropped in to see how the engine build is getting on the way down to see family for the weekend.  So glad I did as I was able to do some work in putting it together and help check a few bits.

So, first build Andy did turned up that the valves got dangerously close to the pistons.  He had to machine larger pockets in the top to give the clearance needed and we had to double check everything.  We did one cylinder

1SYZsW_ROqfXXRvZNib2mF9N8J0L0jXx0YC5CoKd

EBBqO_3DVrWrFvcwSTuIUyb-FTnonT5fnXxtbFRu

mHsovqWez544348TiIwOIFzrMpKzprUlQsEjicQX

fBxcSZyUnpsFEmYk1BM8cAe1_CbxvbeA8SvMjUwm

tbapz3DSqzRVcwEhOiAkfyH2w9Yg30-7vfx1NdHV

yE1Z92Uc7nmmejPGRp7CicjxE25BgJRWRQNRNzrT

weaB8_7-29MoJmjqmzyV55Xqn-K_phfQ1i-sUEfr

Also took the time to setup the vernier pulleys according to the Toda spec sheets.  These cams are awesome build quality and the vernier pulleys are a work of art! 

weaB8_7-29MoJmjqmzyV55Xqn-K_phfQ1i-sUEfruRB96JqWKwZbpE--7ZqgRNkDBNqfzcDtRMUhcf5B

W8AlnCVe43zLx1HrOFUPPZZglnfz9ZmOXzqfdR9g

5J2cuCznG6XS9uM6tKEueqS8zVRQwOmyJWsWxvoR

No clearance issues anymore!  Build can now continue!

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Chandler said:

i gotta check my clearance when i come to putting in the B16B pistons, but should be fine as i haven't got that aggressive cams 

If it's not raising the compression ratio too high then I would imagine you'll be okay mate.  Mine had clearance, just less then 60 thou so if I did miss a gear then I could be in a world of pain!

Sunday - get the hubs done!  Press the spindle into the hub bearing, remember to support the inner race of the bearing from behind!

_yftTuOIIGD1yieVrkfQafCzVNZZSrINMSUu8Sqt

Then I pressed in the extended ball joints - removed the decal around the edge of the ball joint as it was just getting caught on the edge of the hole in the hub

JgQC46sCbWdexZHQsm6lLAxGMUanRoMWBTioFtgg

y2v7T8JdDMqvU4avxHpYrUBA-QvGrBMa0wsTv_y2

4qvVnN9csIsI-9ekVO4vJjkq6yHnSugGb5PWi0Nh

And reinstall on the car

pmLzsxzQliiMs2d3UgAYGrxul7yOW2SK6Liuti2l

CJkV_LhEiF01f3-HqqCEsPtp7PD-lfsW1uEE3bFL

Brake disc and caliper carrier in place with all the shims in the right order to get the caliper and pads in the correct position relative the disc.  I held the disc in place with a bolt temporarily

RfLUjAcVjhbSI4hSYx4wLS2h-tTWo3IQR43j8eaC

3B2D4vnoecA7nBc1DV22_JdInDYUBnvoZlDpYam5

_e2zpGs3Aeg1gkE5AdtTrGU_ZJh1FNjVybzEwOUv

and the wheel went on with no clearance issues.  One corner left to do and it's back on its own wheels

dxb9-P1aXTIBQNLF47Avw8H1GOugm6qsoOxG1__W

Edited by DeLaSoul
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Chandler said:

@DeLaSoul don't know how much its raising the compression by as i really don't understand how you work it out etc

If it's a common mod and you're running stock valves then to be honest you shouldn't have to. I'm running lumpy high lift cams and high comp pistons so there's a lot that could go wrong without careful setup. Andy dialled in the cams as per the Toda instruction sheet and took half a millimeter out of the piston pocket for safety

57 minutes ago, DeLaSoul said:

If it's a common mod and you're running stock valves then to be honest you shouldn't have to. I'm running lumpy high lift cams and high comp pistons so there's a lot that could go wrong without careful setup. Andy dialled in the cams as per the Toda instruction sheet and took half a millimeter out of the piston pocket for safety

Fair play! Well I got stage 2 skunk2 cams. Don’t know if there as aggressive as toda ones though. Probably not ha ha 

21 hours ago, Chandler said:

Fair play! Well I got stage 2 skunk2 cams. Don’t know if there as aggressive as toda ones though. Probably not ha ha 

No the S2 aren't as aggressive.  We drew up a chart a while back and listed out all the cams at the time.  A friend of mine did the maths based on intake runner length, valve size, bore*stroke blah blah blah (went way over my head) and what we wanted was the Buddy Club Stage 3 from the table but couldn't get them  We looked at making a set which wasn't that expensive but completely untested so I wasn't prepared to go that route.  We then went for the S2 Ultra series stage 3 but they had issues with wearing so had to go for the way more expensive Toda Spec C. I'm not even sure at this stage what this engine will idle like but it looks like it'll be lumpy as Ben was focusing on the top end when he did the math and knew the car wasn't meant for the road.

19 hours ago, Krzys said:

My mates R32 GTR was lumpy as 4uck with aggressive cams but that was countered somewhat by swapping the flywheel for a lighter one.

We'll have to see how mine runs, I'm not expecting it to be a nice quiet car on tick over