MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Doesn't look like the last picture of the decal loaded so I'll try again

sdnjwLb7q4Sl4XMfQ4kglw_TRFaK4wExqmtQWqQv

Had to do a little bit of work on the roof to get it ready to fit.  I had several coats of UV resistant lacquer put on it but it had a few defects.  Decided to smooth them out before fitting, easier place to get water while sanding was in the bath

Id6lkAUc7Zq7Mtv1IAXV16JFUD3hMe4Ie5FWjw1x

7nGqrYpEtNZXS_azAufjkxgqZ0Q_Kngkqke2fT0Z

nsYVIk5j12nzTCGCNH7sj5yB66-inH5BDyfDNeeg

Secure from the outside first...

hg3t1ihrMmL1_nyHg5JhE0Lfk80ti4fcm7qPiQC_

Then from the inside to check its alignment

auQCELcCIUUsry7PI3ZjZN97kuVpprJPtpF5WjER

Had to mask the roof off to make sure I didn't get the sealant everywhere but the alignment still wasn't right

4xEgRne0c51ECVeSSC3RAAd11Z9dDaDZsKRbZhdi

Simple ways are often the best :)

ZbGJ-AL9ZBvrzYItm2jsLUhgkSl83cPKzSGPrbxF

While the inside was secured an easy way too.  You'll notice the aluminium blocks on the inside of the roof.  These have been bonded and bolted to the carbon and drilled and tapped  on the underside.  I'll make and bolt 3 braces inside that will hopefully stop the roof from being pulled out by air pressure at speed. 

nn7lEDniYxkbe_ukDXtEVkJtOQwF5ciGYi8ieTDd

Then taped up the inside gap to stop the sealant dropping through

StDoT52liX8CkRx3-kSq-ex68r39ObFxl0AtI1P5

zFg26i4h_23NZBWvGFn3nk6M_92-agFKB_lb8zj4

Hopefully it will all be bonded in the next few days but this stuff was going off before i was finished!  Not going to remove the clips and tape until Thursday just in case though, and then see if it's stiffened the roof.  If not, I've got a plan to sort that later....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dr_broon said:

That sunroof bung looks tip top! 

Nice to see the DOHC stickers back on her as well 8-)

Let's just hope it stays in place! I checked the sealant when I left for work and it's almost set so 24hrs should be about right.

As silly as it sounds, it's starting to look like a Honda again with the stickers back on. I may scan and make the rear badges as stickers to see what they are like

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 28/04/2018 at 1:54 AM, Blackwolf said:

hows this coming along?

I was on holiday for a week but managed to bring some parts back with me :)

On 28/04/2018 at 11:13 PM, T799 said:

What an awesome project! Will be following this one for sure. Good luck with the build mate!

Thank you, seems like a never ending task at the moment as I keep finding little jobs to do!

Short update since getting back; I've fitted some roll cage protection so I don't damage the paint lifting stuff in and out and later on don't damage myself it I hit the cage!

6xUQl7PRBM3KX2jURZakNmdDgYBwCb7BVM_kLFC8

Drivers door pull is also now on, and put cage protector up above my head.  Hope I can't get anywhere near the top one!

vPHdkH708eOZcXmQNgYfQa7NWg2TqTWZy9z0nSe5

Need to make the rear door cards, so made up the template

DIJPgcbkggiw0lKhM47MM-J7jX6AQLng6ElcB1Rv

OCzzmZUAgu0Ptc0NdTnS0ilM-71yMml3Fu3rt4vo

Need to photo the finished card but only the rear left one to do.  I have found the door lock mechanism so will fit that the same as the front door.

Oil System - I have the Accusump system to install but first I needed more parts so had to get a load of fitting so got some for all the other hoses at the same time.

gi5v4YGpSX6fENnZhfoiUoXg9EcDWgT0Ikj2kmxq

New Accusump hoses and fittings, including a one way valve to makesure the oil goes the right way back to the engine!  T-piece fitting on the bulkhead runs into the car and back to the accusump reservoir.  Now need the engine back in to trim the hoses connecting to the engine.  Also started to make up the oil breather hose from the back of the engine.

B45fa7HXnoeXRwhwok4-XCDgTLRGQOqT-hCpWJDT

IRHr4Lx19vwVBm3YtChf1ttqrmzHo4OIhcTNRHYw

Accusump with remote opening valve and new fittings ready to install

rI2ciUuVCHvlehSF63jBhpYnJyQnTkznpD1atLNo

00QpshHuRODnXlU3xAKgx_THr7qIaZ7wqv2kjAtr

Needed to fit a cahmber for the MAP sensor so made a bracket and installed under the intake manifold.  Just have to run the 4 small hoses to connect it to the intake runners

4vKgPt2OADJLTrXGFkQzFKGjwT9a2rEN9pQ6TNUu

2TX_zx25Zx_tcVgFlW7yGxwjpw9qZN9l06vDC5I9

Last of the bolts turned up for the engine so all the hardware has now been refreshed!

404jVrTE3z6O-0gX60BDpBnhqhmVoGgFR3Axo76X

Last job yesterday was installing the windscreen and side windows by bonding them in.  Found a windscreen guy locally who did the job for me, although my hands are still covered in the sealant!  All the bonded panels are installed like the rear quarters, rear screen and front screen.  Now have to run the cables for the heating elements back so I can connect them up in the cabin

HjoppEcDdeAyQGIxkwpVy8wiflS16LEFMWYEP5zb

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Blackwolf said:

Damn this is coming along just fine what do you use and where do you get the material for the door cards?

It came from Track Day Doorcards, Simon is on Facebook and very helpful.  Not sure exactly what the material is called but it came as 4 easy to cut sheets of plastic, a bag of fixings, 2 door pulls in a colour of your choice and the covers to keep it all neat.  The templates tale the time to make but weren't difficult. 

8 hours ago, noodels said:

Nearly there chap :cool:

Just loads of little jobs left to go that will all add up!

Rear windows are all now bonded and bolted in.  Boot lid now feels solid to close and no longer rattles and the same for the rear quarters.  Plastics 4 Performance did a great job with them.  Just the drivers side windows left to bolt in and the car is "sealed"

Sjerj9XGKUBN0G6V0XWsaMCRJ6BqkBrfawhWNvGW

Accusumo is now bolted down to the rear floor.  I can now run the pipes to the bulkhead and wire in the remote control to the dashboard

u0UbJbS96RsYh8wGvFwsbfvj5FglG__bt3r5nWgR

J0iDDkBfDE-sjBIjIxjInV_aNH4SFP3oCmbdqi9X

Rear end is taking shape, so I can start to clamp down all the hoses, pipes and cables. 

WIndscreen trims are also now in and looking good (apart from they need s damn good clean :( ).  The 4 wires for the heating elements need to be routed and I thought they'd go into the cabin under the seal but I was told they need to go into the scuttle panel so I'll have to find a way to route them and wire them up.  THink I've already found a way but need to check by doing it.

P8iQ71O0tWIumUtB_EoU8QZGKdE_fMzDe4qaiato

• Like 2