MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Thanks guys, the misses has been totally supportive of the build and everything I do so couldn't ask for more.

Update over the weekend, totally remade all the wiring to the back of the car, adding the wiring for the Accusump system and splitting the loom into 3 separate sections to make it easier to work on at a later date.  Before it was all 1 loom to the back, but I've decided that if anything changes I have to rebuild the whole lot so better to build it as 3 separate looms; lights, fuel tank and accusump.  Old loom wasn't as clean as the later stuff I've been making for other cars so a good opportunity to tidy everything up to match the engine and ECU.

Rain light on a custom made bracket and powder coated.  Tailgate plug is hidden inside the roof but can be unhooked to remove the whole boot lid which it couldn't be before without taking the wiring out all the way to the dashboard!  All on Deutsch Connectors

0AXlZGo-sYEhQeB7l3vgFZb842yt9HQweuzy2yqp

Tailgate - all wiring here is heatshrunk and glue sealed instead of overbraid.  High level brake light retains the original plug under the spoiler.

NUL3ThPUuUccOoYy7NGuZiMopeDkHXvHup8FFHsW

Vud2cjKR13Jgdij5Wm1sp6EWjjWc8uG21LOA59Qq

Joining left and right hand side where the functions are the same, such as reversing lights, stop/tail lights and fog lights.  Each one is heat shrink/solder joints, water proof and labelled in case I need to fault find later on.  Earth lead is way over sized (22amp) but better to be safe than sorry.  Also fitted 4 separate earths just in case.

Pwop1I9WW3QrxVAIMYYd7X81FbScj_vpORJi7fyu

Fuel cell plug, again all wires are labelled at each end just in case

q8mpjN_pSsouRS1hBrVaii9C4YOj5nsaofhsfMaR

Rear end all fixed on place

C7nb8iGnDyrncMougaY1VOmErcoWBVO9jmcsR42T

30S8o2QSJuVfiDWQJr-uRB9MqEQKkGeI9gz-wGKw

y28MLamT00UDH4k8BTZ_VcPOCLBY5_ZsW3FqZepM

Khsg4Z56v_zGd0QUWjzyOtL4tXFDpnUGD8RXFYly

Now need to take the dashboard out and start on the last part of the wiring loom before putting power to everything.  Then it's fuel lines/filler neck and exhaust and onto mapping!  Given the rate I work at, still 6 months away :) :) :) 

• Like 3

no worries mate! so is mine she has a ek4 vti as do i, my mb6 vti is my daily but we both tinker on our eks its a good relationship! still cant get over the build, will we be seeing this at shows next year? do you have instagram also

11 hours ago, VTIDanny said:

no worries mate! so is mine she has a ek4 vti as do i, my mb6 vti is my daily but we both tinker on our eks its a good relationship! still cant get over the build, will we be seeing this at shows next year? do you have instagram also

It's good when you can have a common interest.  My misses is learning the basics like servicing and brakes when even the opportunity comes up, she's really good at it.

I'm happy how the car has come out so far, so glad I dry built 95% of it before paint to make sure there were no big issues.  Still got a few small bits to sort but so far it's gone back together really well.  I'm not on instagram, I tend to upload everything to Google Photos to share with a few friends the updates on the build (warts and all!)

10 hours ago, dmrichards said:

work of art, can't wait to see this in the flesh!

Yeah, hope it'll all be done soon!

14 hours ago, VTIDanny said:

fair play to your misses mate! mines pregnant so cant really help with much atm haha, nothing better than taking pride in your own work 

That's awesome, can't wait to have kids of my own but not just yet.  

Few small updates in the last few days, like securing the dashboard a little better and started properly assembling the suspension.

Dash out and plan to mount a center point to bolt it down

Tn_JrOkgAa1wdrlfjEYJSxn-zk7rK3rvPWiO-cos

Pfi7rhTPSkm10TJdmeUcmNF3R4qndHWC5zeemOfE

kHFzaY9pQUvf21rbXq_jLzOrgBz-H_TVS_dnaewC

Mount can be moved up and down to meet the daahboard

atT5IhrMw08YT7Ff3QT3OgWw6npPWu_xm54FteSN

View from the underside with the dashboard back in.  Can also see the inlet to the windscreen ducting

7mr_q5Bovwp7pASn1dVZci5wNaUxJH9KJe2zdtxs

Dash in and a lot more secure

3Qrlr65hV1xFcNFi8OQs-u5c66JOEn-rRGQ55tsP

Used some of the remaining S2 cam cover washers to bling up the dash bolts :lol:

iyf6PltPT06r1-bTT8AsVb7tN8vawPBd4rv88dck

yDfSH1zTqPcSO2aPesbaIP-eZCRI5_JpiYip-AiE

XRxZv86N9m8p1qsV_VQxSmW3ibnolcNOqwbjtmgE

Next job was the back bumper and F7 LCA brace.  The LCA brace took a lot of machining to make fit originally and I knew I still had a bit more work to do to make it fit the Aerodeck

aQGfCeF92t2p9QgOhpkZYp2rX5fbu9u8G7v-gijK

Mounted and secure, just needs a new cap head for the upper left roll bar mount as I've lost one :( . I will connect up the drop links later

dV19NL9uQ6yPP7lb8dNsbjYMIfe3BGyKuJWdOkh2

Back bumper cut out, marked out some options where I wanted to cut the bumper.  Decided on the upper mark

H7BKylJA979tLRvlYETSb6PhwqsM8qD0DNk60DVb

Hole saw the corners

tnCmIT4MKl-TrKlftDXLuDo7xi67f15Q3Apsiz5S

Angle grinder to cut the lines out

pycrXf98hkUh4r8_UoYLhfCGqi2yquLQ9Ccqf2r9

Drum sander to finish the edges and test fit

wLy6yprG2XyP8NLr7e7BGSwioIg2gcFiMDXD6LMH

Cam cover off to fill the engine with oil and make sure everything is okay

o-DrtvKoUpOogKKEP0ggAdhJMV9RrCEXymYAExA9

Also filled the gearbox with MF3.  Fill plug is easy to get to with no intake in the way!

5SHqiGSX9WJkUAW3JowZ3vXO8eK8ahQQ3WZazltu

L167pvmvJGjSh9P4HUvaHgirAM-4c4qvry7EPf2w

So all the oils are now done for running in. Need to check and fill the oil cooler and Accusump but can do that later

• Like 3

how come you filled it up from there? the gearbox i mean? i usually fill it up from the breather on top of the gearbox.

takes slightly longer but you can see the fluid come out of the filling hole a lot easier :) 

also liking your updates mate 

13 hours ago, Chandler said:

how come you filled it up from there? the gearbox i mean? i usually fill it up from the breather on top of the gearbox.

takes slightly longer but you can see the fluid come out of the filling hole a lot easier :) 

also liking your updates mate 

That's the normal filling point. Going slow for the last half litre wasn't too bad and easy to get the level. I've seen people fill up by taking out the Speedo sensor and drive before now. It's what ever is easier for you I guess

Managed a few small jobs in the bay - I want to be able to turn over the engine to get some oil pressure

Firstly, exhaust manifold in so radiator out.  Luckily Hond-R supplied the correct rear bracket for this manifold from a H22 Prelude engine.

AgorDSbZE1LMQynZlr7tyqAfWFAwif2vM_BrljxC

Bottom of the image below shows the bolts holding the rear part of the manifold in place.  Struggling to decide how to mount the oil temp and pressure sensors.  Here I've used an adapter for the oil line to mount 1/8" NPT sensors into AN10 fluid lines.  This will work for pressure sensors but not temperature sensors.  Thinking of mounting the temp sensor on the remote oil filter housing so it can see the oil temp when it goes to the oil cooler.  Need to also run a breather hose back the catch can from the back of the block but need another AN10 fitting to mount the other end to the tank

btYfm31o94559zIBLn8JIPjV-KWsx5QJ2n_BnEQQ

12 hours ago, DeLaSoul said:

That's the normal filling point. Going slow for the last half litre wasn't too bad and easy to get the level. I've seen people fill up by taking out the Speedo sensor and drive before now. It's what ever is easier for you I guess

ye man i know it says to fill up from there, just find it easier to fill up from the breather :) 

Speedo sensor hole aint a bad shout either!