MC2 Project - Chassis prep

DeLaSoul

Tea break so time for some more pics....

First job was change out all the old earth leads around the engine bay. Can't remember whose build thread I saw this on (sorry) but it looked like a really good idea so I set to work on that...

IMAG0192.jpg

IMAG0194.jpg

IMAG0199.jpg

Repeat around engine bay.

Next, cleaned up the cam cover following the guide in the "how to" section... 1"£££$££"

IMAG0206.jpg

IMAG0239.jpg

The car kept cutting out, at first I thought it was random or something to do with the new earth leads but then it started to do it if I started the car quickly. Turned out to be the ignition switch was worn out, Honda told me it was a common fault so off with the steering column covers...

IMAG0181.jpg

New ignition switch...

IMAG0182.jpg

and great, the car won't start at all now :evil: Call to Honda and ask if I need to have the alarm reset and they say "no, shouldn't do". Check the alarm wiring and sensor unit around the key barrel and no loose wires so I pulled the new ignition switch off. Wiring was different :evil::evil: Apparently there are several variants of the harness for Auto's, manuals etc.

IMAG0184.jpg

Pulled the plug apart and re-wired it to work. Car started first turn and stayed on :D

Exterior: No idea why but dad removed the front lip and threw it away. He also removed the front fog lights after getting a price from Honda to replace one of the lenses. Search on eBay found a guy breaking one in Titan Silver :D

2011-07-23%25252012.34.30.jpg

VTi lip and fogs ready to go on.

Dave

Did you make the earth wires yourself or buy them? Rocker looks well!

Just noticed its got an NI reg. Did you buy it from there?

I see you also have a green vti there too, any mods to that one?

@ SteveMB6 - I think the thing to look for on any parts is quality vs price. I would look for any reviews on forums for a product as a starting point. I know that the ones I fitted were quite expensive but I've seen some good reviews and Skunk2 are as far as I can tell a trusted brand. I did a similar project a few years back on my old ST162 Celica and learned the hard way on some cheap bits so now I tend to go on trusted parts only.

I made the earth leads myself. Whole engine bay cost £20 using audio cable and gold plated connectors. I soldered and crimped the plug on for a good solid connection. The difference was noticeable at night with the A/C and lights on at idle, no more dimming headlights. The plate is a private one, the car is a UK not an import or anything, it's just a way of hiding the cars true age :D

The MB6 is my brothers car, completely stock. He's more into old Toyota's, the Civic is just his run daily driver.

@noodels - I can PM the guys number over. He had the Mid spoiler for sure when I was there on Saturday, not 100% on the rear skirt but I think so. All in Titan silver :) He's based down near Slough and had a few MB6/MC2/DC2 bits.

cofusion.com , got them already mate!! was just need sills the guy is halifax location location :0)

perhaps your guy is another ?oh well dont need them as above.. 8-)

lol, sorry mate. I want mine to look totally stock on the outside as much as possible. I've got the decals to go back on the rear doors and from the outside she's finished. Thanks though

Nice one mate thanks, i was thinking about doing some new earths myself too. You can get a kit, but its £40 and cheaper to do it yourself as you have said. Im guessing 8 gauge wire you used?

TAZ is a late97/early98 Northern ireland plate incase you didnt know.

Keep up the good work!

Yeah, 8 gauge wire, several packs of connectors and a good soldering iron. Difference was noticeable so worth doing. Just make sure they are all tight afterwards, I accidentally left one on the gearbox loose and the car wouldn't even turn over. Simple fix, but I thought I'd knackered the starter motor!

No I didn't know about the age of the NI plate. I just like them as they don't give away the age (or so I thought) of the car and it stands out a bit from the crowd.

Thanks