Freak wagon build

FREAKBOY

just a quickie. Not a standing start, I was coming off a roundabout, but it demonstrates the smooth pop into 2nd gear on boost at 40 mph @7300rpm (where I set the rev limiter) and the dump valve doesn't need to open on gearchange so it stays on boost. If i'd kept my foot pinned it would hit 3rd at about 77 and 4th at about 105 mph :twisted:WACK11111[smitten.gif]WACK11111:twisted:

TgPiwk_sDB0

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lost the slip but nearly 120 bhp at the wheels and just shy of 180 on the torque, remember though that it was only on 5psi. Phil said there's a good days worth of tuning to do but not really worth doing it yet till I get proper control of the boost and sort the oil burning issue.

A good boost controller is needed because at the moment all i've got on is a manual screw type jobbie which is a crude way of doing it and has it's drawbacks. As Phil pointed out to me, the reason i've been having trouble getting boost is because the exhaust pressure in the manifold was pushing the wastegate valve open early. So I need to apply some pressure to the top port until it needs to open. This would make it boost earlier too and an electronic controller would keep the boost constant, at the mo it can vary depending on rpm & throttle position.

The manual one I have on also has a habit of adjusting itself, it's a good job I set a boost limit cut on the ECU when I programmed Crome. It's saved me a few times already, not nice when it happens as it cuts the ignition till the boost drops so it throws you forward a bit, but relieving that it works and has just saved the motor from possible kaboom. I set this at 10 psi which is just under the MAP sensor threshold of 10.66.

Not decided which EBC to get yet, gizmo seem popular (& cheap).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...