have you got a oven you can rent then . only once did me and brother try and paint something in a garage and it looked like someone had throw sand in it :shock: . it tuck 4 hours to flat and polish it . never again :evil:

HEHE, i got the use of a garage, but only one thats next to the house! Never had any probs with dust/dirt etc, a long as you make sure area is ubber clean, and damp the floor before spraying, it should be ok ;)

Its a difficult one really, i have seen some absolutely shocking jobs from so called smart repairers and people doing it without ovens etc, however, a mate sprayed my xr3i and it turned out mint, (check the "what did you used to drive" thread!!) much better than i thought it would, and that was in a workshop next to his house!! I am no expert on painting cars, but he spent so much time on the prep, i rekon thats the key to a good finish! I will probably get shot down in flames by the sprayers on here, but im just going on my personal experience!! :oops::lol:

No you're spot on Ad, you can have the best sprayer in the universe with a top notch spraybooth/oven etc.........but if the prep isnt 100%, it'll look crap. I see where Rich is coming from though, theres always crap in the air but I've never had any problems with results on the cars or parts I've sprayed. 8-)

you are spot on the paint job is in the prep 100% i have been in the accident repair trade now for 12 years and my bro has been a painter for 10 years . you will get a ok job on non flat panels like doors and stuff because the dust can not land on them . but bonnets and roofs will get it . i have been there and done it may times trying to do someone a cheap job . we rent an over by is for £80 for a sat morning its just not worth taking a risk for that money.

This is my car straght out of the gun in an oven.

12122008683.jpg

12122008684.jpg

but i do see what you are saying we did the door shut in a garage ( and they are ok )

10122008680.jpg

its a hard one to explane it looks amazing in the sun . the car was painted black then a bmw dark green and then a blue emerald metel flake pearl on the top to give it its green to blue flip then metel flake in the sun is amazing everyone loved the colour at the rising sun . the down side is the sun has to out for the colour to work or it just looks green .

• Dave pinned this topic
  • Dave unpinned this topic