How to check ISB & thrust bearing query?

vtec2011

I have mentioned this in another thread but I made this thread as for what it says on the title..

So.. I now have another gearbox and before I fit it on the Civic, I want to make sure the Input Shaft Bearing is good. I don't want to fit it and then find out it has the same problem as the old gearbox. I have checked the input shaft for play but is there any other checks that should be made? And how often does a thrust bearing fail? Because the gearbox already has a thrust bearing fitted but I don't know if its worth fitting a new one. The new gearbox has done 73,000 miles, apparently.. Thanks in anticipation for your help.. :)

listen for any roughness in the isb. for the sake of a few quid just replace the thrust bearing. they are £40 from honda so will be much cheaper from a motorfactor

listen for any roughness in the isb. for the sake of a few quid just replace the thrust bearing. they are £40 from honda so will be much cheaper from a motorfactor

I managed to take the gearbox out. I turned the input shaft/layshaft and it made hell of a noise and it was really slack :? I fitted the new gearbox, fitted a new thrust bearing and put 2 litres of Honda gearbox oil. Running really smooth and the car feels a lot more responsive (could be my imagination :lol: ) and I finally have a really quiet car, chuffed to bits!