• 4 weeks later...

So, with Roxy away at the coachworks after her accident, I had to tax DD again and put her back on the road. Was sitting at work, mulling things over about the crash in the TypeR, and insurance and stuff, then thought to myself, "I did declare all the mods on DD, didn't I?". So gave them a call. Bloody lucky I did! They had the interior, the wheels, the exhaust etc, but said they didnt know about the suspension! Now I am almost 99% sure I called them after we fitted it to let them know, but might be getting confused with Ruby shrug.gif1  So anyhoo, they said they would need to speak to the underwriters to make sure it's ok, and call me back. They called back and........................underwriters WON'T insure her! Shit!

They put me through to another company, who might be able to find me cover, and they tried a few. The prices were unbelievable! Went from her current £400 to £1250! With a £700 excess instead of £250! eekout.gif1

I was like "No bloody way!" Anyways, they put me through to Sky Insurance (Our official trader!) and Justin tried to get me something better. Due to me having an ongoing claim, he said I will probably struggle to find an insurer who will actually give me cover! He too had a quote coming in for £1200, but told me not to worry, he would speak to the underwriters and get me a better deal. Sure enough, he came back to me saying they would insure me even though I had this pending claim, and all mods declared, and including our Civic5 discount for.................................................................£460! With £250 excess and protected no claims etc. And thats based on a like for like on all the mods fitted too in the event of an accident, so wheels, suspension, interior and exhaust are all covered. :-D  Result! So DD is now re-insured with Sky insurance, and her old cover has been cancelled. Was scary to think that had anything happened over the weekend, she wasn't covered! All happy now though.

So if you're adding mods to the car, especially suspension, speak to your insurer first to make sure A) they will cover it  and B) How much it will effect your premium!

Finally want to give a big shout out to Justin and the team at SKY INSURANCE. Amazingly helpful, and very knowledgeable too because they are car enthusiasts just like us. Great price and very very happy ! applause.gif1 applause.gif1 applause.gif1 applause.gif1 applause.gif1

• Like 2

christ! i said about lowering my smx, and they said that was fine :/ but that was with Adrian Flux :)

Lowering is one thing, Meister R's are another thing entierly lol

Glad you got it sorted Dave, I'm planning on giving Sky a call when mine is due for renewal

• Like 1

Glad there was a result in the end Dave!

In honesty though, would an insurer know the difference between springs and Meisters!?!?

yes.... when mine was assessed at the begining of the year when someone ran into the back of me (yes i know it hasn't been a good year) they phoned me with the results and said by the way theres "different suspension" on the car. I just claimed ignorance and said i bought the car like that and had no idea it had been changed, i got away with it because it was a non-fault claim and they were writing off the car anyway.

i will however be making sure EVERYTHING is declared when i take out a policy with Sky, i hadn't actually intended to pull the wool over their eyes i just forgot about it as i had taken the policy out online

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic