Taking preload out will actually lower the car, so you'll need to compensate by raising it.

I'm pretty sure they go to almost stock ride height. Damping you set to whatever you like, that's the bouncy part of the ride.

I learned all this while fettling with it on the VTi-S I had, took me a month to dial it in and work out how I liked it.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Not much been happening in DD's world, but she's been off the road for almost a year now so thought it was about time to get her ready for the road again! 

Took her for her MOT on Wednesday and she failed on offside front caliper seized solid. To be fair, she was taken off the road because of the caliper so kinda expected that but wanted to see what else she would need. Turns out that's all she failed on!

Had a chat with the tester about how she looks underneath and he said really clean, although she has started rusting in both front foot Wells where the seem is from the bulkhead. Said it wasn't serious, but left unattended it will rot. So got her back home and all jacked up. First job, off with the buggered caliper, then got the rusty bit cleaned up with the grinder. Slapped on some rust treatment stuff so it will stop anymore rust, and bought a tin of underseal. Have left the rust treatment to dry out for a few days so plan is to fit new caliper today then underseal the part i treated. Rest of the underseal/underside looks sound, although i am now going to get under her with the grinder/wire brush attachment and give her a good going over front to back, then fresh coat of underseal. Also gave some of the front suspension a brush up and going to respray them with satin black to freshen it all up.

Was a bit of a shock seeing that rust. With her being lowered, i never see underneath her now unless she's jacked up, so again thinking maybe better going back to standard suspension so i can keep a check of things easily.

Still, £36 for a caliper plus mot fee.......not bad for an old 20year old girl eh! 

On another plus point, im getting back to being able to do more work on the cars now. Still find it tiring but being able to do more each time which is making me happy.

MOT for DD this wednesday then she's back on the road. Shes also getting put into daily driving duties fir the summer/autum. Will take the mini off the road and let DD get some miles under her belt.

Next up, mot now out on Mindy our MX5! 

• Like 1

Literally every one I looked at when I was shopping has rust on that seam. 

Looks like that's where they tend to go. Strange because egs etc don't suffer there.

• Like 1

Yeah, really strange bit to start rusting. It looks like theres a seam filler that dries out then lifts away, taking the underseal with it leaving the metal exposed. I'm gonna just refresh the whole underside with new underseal as I've had a good poke around underneath and she's amazingly clean and solid everywhere else from front to back. Good dose of the black goo will keep her that way! 

9 hours ago, Dave said:

Yeah, really strange bit to start rusting. It looks like theres a seam filler that dries out then lifts away, taking the underseal with it leaving the metal exposed. I'm gonna just refresh the whole underside with new underseal as I've had a good poke around underneath and she's amazingly clean and solid everywhere else from front to back. Good dose of the black goo will keep her that way! 

If your undersealing. Have you got a compressor? Can get a gun and Lance really cheap so you can blast in orifices. On that section your talking about there are two large drain holes. I'd suggest  blasting loads of goop up in there and also trough the skirt holes into the sill. Exactly what I've done on mine should really help long term.

• Like 1

Nice one Jake! Yes, got a compressor but just a normal spray gun. Will nip in to machine mart and buy the lance gun for undersealing. Have only done that bit on both sides then the floor from front arches to end of sills at the rear, but would deffo like to be able to spray up into all the wee bits you cant get to with a brush. Do you need to thin the underseal for spraying or is there a particular one for use on the spray gun? Know the parts place i got the underseal from also hand it in aerosol, but thought the cans wont go very far. 

So she's back off the axle stands and ready for the retest mot. Brakes done, and also adjusted the handbrake as he'd said it was on the limits (but a pass). Suspension parts on the front (wishbones, drop links, subframe etc all treated with rust  converter then sprayed satin black. Also, as she's going to be on the road daily now, I treated the alloys with alloy wheel sealer then went over them with a mild silicon spray and buffed it up. Should help protect the wheels from the rain/dirt/brake dust. She's looking good! Roll on Wednesday! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noodels said:

Had N/S cut out refabricated and welded up 2 yrs ago no rust anywhere else.

Looks like that's becoming the bit to watch on our Civic M's. DD is the same mate, other than that bit (now all fixed) no rust anywhere. I still want to get the sideskirts off though at some point to have a check at the sills, although from what i can see they look decent.

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic