Thanks guys, yeah she's all clean again now though lol. I'm thinking of a plan regarding using DD as my daily though. I really don't want to sell the mk1 mx5 to get a mk3 mx5 daily driver, so thinking can use DD as the daily and then come spring/summer/autumn alternate between DD and the mx5. Will give DD a break and help spread the miles between the two. Will also give me a chance to take DD off the road for a bit to get everything cleaned underneath prior to getting finishing off the undersealing/suspension and subframe painting.

Nice long run today! We went to view a house down in Lauder, then had arranged to meet Simon (Dr Broon) down in Kielder Forest. Simon kindly donated a full set of winter wheels/winter tyres for DD (Much thanks mate!! 8-) ) so we went down to collect them and have a catch up and blether.

Run down was amazing! We tried to stay on the A68 as long as we could (sat nav constantly trying to send us on every road to the right of the A68) but eventually turned off onto this single track road (wish I could remember the number of it!) which was initially covered in wet mud for about the first half a mile. DD got covered in crap, the dirty girl! Road eventually opened up onto the best bit of tarmac I've driven on yet! Windy road, where you could see through the next 3 to 4 corners easily, surrounded but massive drops off the edge of the road into valleys and stunning scenery. DD was in her element, huging the corners with Gayle totally enjoying the run. She said we are deffo going to return there in Mindy the MX5!! Roads were just amazing!. Got Gayle to take some photos en route (we didnt get the best bit as we only thought about photos further down the road!! lol  :rolleyes:)

20191124_130650DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130704DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130819DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130920DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130925DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_130953DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Crossing the border into England. What a dirty girl DD!

20191124_131043DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_131052DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

lol smile dear, we're taking a photie!

20191124_131106DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Finally back home. Don't think I've ever seen DD so filthy! Will be getting a bath asap!

20191124_174559DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_174620DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg20191124_174640DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Her new winter shoes. Tyres are like new. Going to give the wheels a quick refurb/spray before fitting.

20191124_174900DD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_keilder_Forest.jpg

Can't thank Simon enough for these, really appreciate it mate. Was so good to meet up again as it's been a while since the last time! Great blether, even if our initial meeting point was closed and we had no way of calling you (zero phone signal there!) to let you know we were at the visitor centre! lol Saw this lovely Honda Accord tourer go tearing past and thought yup, there goes Simon! lmao. Great trip, great chat and DD's posh wheels will be saved the ravages of winter!

• Like 1

No worries bud, they've been sat around for years so glad they've gone to a good home and help keep DD safe in the slippy months. 

Good to catch up - I reckon there's loads of good tracks to be found around kielder (they have a stage from the pirelli rally there)... Always a fun place to get to :D

• Like 1

So, did a quick refurb of the wheels yesterday (was around -2 degrees here but had the heater on in the garage so nice and toasty!).

Lots of surface rust on the inside of the rims, so attacked that with wire brush on the drill, Flappy disc on the drill then finished off with a sand by hand.

After prepping/sanding

winter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (2).jpg

winter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (3).jpg

And repainted in black. Was going to respray them, but it's a hassle keeping the paint off the tyres (the tyres were the important part here! lol) so decided that as they are only winter wheels, brush painted with smooth Hammerite was the way to go.

winter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (1).jpgwinter_wheel_refurbNov2019 (4).jpg

Quite pleased with DD's Ghetto look wheels lol. Least once fitted I'll know she has some decent grip to keep her out of the ditches/kerbs once the snow comes.

• Like 1

Should be on either end of this week or end of next week mate! Garage is going to be out of bounds as as we'll be using it to store the furniture from both bedrooms while the walls are fixed.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2019 at 10:47 PM, snakey135 said:

Old skool winter wheels!!

get some tyre shine in em! 8-)

Oh yes, deffo getting that lus something else just arrived for them!!! 

• Like 2

So, the refurb of the wheels is complete! I decided on making them just a bit different so went and bought this.....

tyre_lettering_pen_whiteDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

Thought it would make them look a bit dofferent and brighten up the all black wheel/tyre combo. Very 70's/80's lol

So here's what they looked like pre-refurb....

1WheelsBeforeRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg2WheelsBeforeRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

And now....

2WheelsAfterRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

3WheelsAfterRefurbDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

Think they'll look ok for DD's "Ghetto" winter wheels. Also fitted the centre caps I bought, and then fitted the blue vinyl H logos to the centre caps.

Also, to save the brand new OEM mates we bought for her, I invested in a set of these...

Winter matsDD_Honda_Civic_Aerodeck_nov2019_Winter_wheels.jpg

Just need to get the wheels fitted then suspension swapped back to her oem stuff and she'll be winter ready!

• Like 2

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic