So, decided be quicker to do things in stages so got the other 3 wheels masked and gone over with the tack cloths. Set myself up a wee production line in the garage lol (I must have it a filter thing on my phone camera cos the wheels look gold....which they are not!)

20200426_141802.jpg20200426_141813.jpg20200426_141752.jpg

So, all 3 now etched, primed and into silver. Just need to lacquer them now (waiting on more lacquer arriving) then that's the full set done. Have took a few photos of the masking/prep process to put together a wee how to guide. Once we're set up in the garage at the new house gonna put a full video together returning DDs oem winter alloys.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got them finished! Was a f@#k up with the order for the lacquer so after 12 days it still hadn't arrived and I ordered more from some place else. 

Went a bit different when I fitted the alloys this time, swapped the Cades centre caps for the new Honda ones I bought for the winter rims...looks better I think?

DD with her posh shoes back on (still need to get some nice shiney new nuts!)

20200509_163215.jpg

20200509_163315.jpg

20200509_163232.jpg

20200509_163357.jpg

Soooooo glad to have these back on, hated her look on standard alloys/winter tyres.

• Like 2

New tyres fitted today. Got kwik fit mobile to supply/fit the new tyres at home.

Went for Goodyear Efficient grip 2 as have had these on Ruby and Roxy, and Mindy has them so thought time for DD to have them. Always loved the grip and low noise levels of these, especially in the wet. 

Size wise, went for 195/55 16. 15's are 55 profile, and the previous tyres were 45 profile, but should have been 50 with the 16's. Know the speedo will be slightly out going for 55's, but not bothered as the extra comfort and them filling the now huge arch gaps since going back to standard suspension will be worth it. Quite like the look to be honest

20200512_185821.jpg20200512_185802.jpg20200512_185741.jpg

also, got a pic of the jack the mobile fitters use. Airbag system which raises the car in about 2 secs! Nice bit of kit......have already seen them for sale so might invest in one for my new garage when its built. Already got a compressor so ready to go!20200512_182107.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

About the air-jack. Be careful, they are structurally weaker than the hydraulic and might jiggle away from under the car if not used carefully.

In general, please make sure to NEVER WORK ON A CAR ONLY SUPPORTED BY A JACK. Always have jack stands under either the jacking point, frame rails or the suspension arms.

Jacks wíll fail, and they wíll crush your arm/leg. You won't be able to pull away in time. You won't be careful enough about keeping your legs/arms from under the car. You won't be keeping that arm/leg if 1,5 tons of civic dumps on top of it.

€30 / 25 pound cheap jack stands are worth it if you wrench often. I have 6 for 2 cars. Preferably lockable ones. If you can't get those, use a (spare) wheel under the car to break the fall. Don't use a tyre unless it's a 305 or more..

If you can get Ramps, those are generally more stable than jacks and jack stands. Less useful for wheel work, but great for exhaust/engine work.

• Like 1

Yes mate, know about the jacks failing lol I had my mb6 up on a trolley jack years ago, and went in for a cuppa. Came back out and the front of the car was on the ground, sitting on its brakes!! Thought to myself, jesus, I could have been under that!! :-o

Just thought it would be a quick way of getting the car up in the air then put the axle stands under it, deffo wouldnt trust an airbag to hold the car while i work on it bud :wink:

• Like 1

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic