So, unfortunately DD developed a rather bad leak into the drivers front footwell. Noticed it after I had gave her good wash, the whole footwell was literally swimming in a pool of water. Got the mat out, removed the trim and pulled back the carpet. Took absolute hours to get all the water out and wring out the carpet which was saturated. 

Got Gayle to start with the hose, spraying a little water at the bottom of the screen and working our way up to the top and onto roof. No sign of where it was getting in at all!! crazy.gif1

So, speaking to DAVEMB2 one night on the phone, and he mentioned that there is a big hole beneath the scuttle panel trim that is open and goes straight into the heater. It only has a small lip around it, so maybe water coming in there. Got the trim all removed, and sure enough, there is this huge hole and you can actually reach in and spin the fan on the heater! See the pics below.

1. location of leak showing heater intake 20210221.jpg

The pic above shows the location of the hole. The scuttle panel above overhangs the hole, and normally the water wouldn't go in/drip down into the hole. Unfortunately, there was 22 years worth of mud/grime built up in the lip on the scuttle, meaning it was level with the top of the lip. The pic above shows dirt, but I was half way through cleaning it so it was way worse than this! Water was able to go straight into the heater and along the pipes to drivers side! 

There's a flap of metal to the front of the hole which I assume is to stop the water splashing into it. The scuttle lip sits so that it is just inside the lip.

2. close up of flap bent backwards20210221.jpg I've bent that flap slightly towards the hole, meaning any water that does go over the top lip will just run off the flap and into the drains as it should do.  

Spent ages with cleaning stuff and a Henry hoover cleaning all dirt and crap out. This pic below shows it cleaned, and the flap now bent back towards the rear of the car.

3.Area cleaned and flap bent backwards20210221.jpg

And finally all done. The bits that look rusty are actually the factory sealant. One thing I was glad of is that when removing the scuttle trim, the actual scuttle and bulkhead are absolutely rust free. Not a single bit of rust there! I was a bit worried with the leak, as thought the bulkhead may have rotted away out of site beneath the trim. Jims Rover 400, which looked mint, was rotten in there when he got the windscreen replaced, which was the reason he got rid of it. Same year as DD too! Glad to say she's mint in there!

4. Area cleaned20210221.jpg

I've also sprayed the entire scuttle area with silicon spray to keep the water off it. Hopefully this will keep her rust free in there for years to come.

• Like 1

So, finally got around to fitting the Halo dashcam and hardwire kit today. The wiring kit was really decent, easy to install. Got the dashcam all hooked up and working perfect. Good thing is its really small, so not really that noticeable from outside. 

Cheeky wee pic now she had been washed and new cam fitted! Unfortunately, due to a wee fault with her Juke, Gayle had to use DD to go to and from work, so she's all bloody dirty again! lol Good thing is, we had torrential rain up here, so that, and along with me giving her a good wash after fixing the leak, she's nice and dry in the footwell!

Wee pic of the Halo

51w2ffaV2KL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

halo fitted.jpg

DD leak fixed and halo fitted.jpg

• Like 1

I remember cleaning out the scuttle panel on tubs years ago now.. Was loads of leaf build up in varying stages of decay :?

Good that you've got the leak sorted mate.. That's a relief eh? 

Looks tidy that dash cam 

• Like 1

Yeah, was incredible the amount of crap under it, was like thick solid mud! So glad she's now water tight again, one less thing to worry about! Means I can get back to using her again as she's been hiding in the car port since the leak started. Not that I've actually gone anywhere since the last lockdown started!! Never really leave the village at the moment tbh. Can't wait to get the new garage built, want to give DD a wee front end respray as she has loads of stone chips on the VTiS splitter and bonnet. Bumper is still like new though! (although it was replaced a few years back with a brand new one so maybe that's why lol)

• Like 1

Gotta have a garage mate! We were lucky that this house already has a single brick garage, but although its long (over 19ft) its only wide enough to park your car in, not wide enought to work on it. Well, not easily anyways! So once the new ones built it'll be cool having the two! Not quite as good as what I had with the double garage, but it'll do nicely!

• Like 1

Double garage is where it's at ay. 

Was a big deal for me getting a garage after living in a terraced street so long. But tbh its just crammed now. Need a double. Or a triple tbh haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 4:49 PM, KiNK43 said:

Double garage is where it's at ay. 

Was a big deal for me getting a garage after living in a terraced street so long. But tbh its just crammed now. Need a double. Or a triple tbh haha.

:-DHaha, triple garage would be awesome!! I'd only end up filling it with more cars though! Was browsing a certain auction site last night looking at MK3 Ford Cortinas of all things...........got a real hankering for owning one again! Never gonna happen unless we win the lottery, but bloke can dream ay! 

On 3/1/2021 at 5:14 PM, dr_broon said:

Looking into getting a council garage to be honest... Want to keep her under cover.

Deffo be worth it mate just to keep her away from the worst of the weather when you're not using her.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So, today got DD's second leak into the cabin fixed (I hope!).  This time, headlining in top right corner of windscreen. Wasn't the ususal spots (windscreen bonding/blocked sunroof drains), so investigated further! Removed the roof rail on drivers side, and found the channel blocked with crap. The factory seam sealer had gave way a tiny bit where the front roof rail mount goes, so after cleaning all the crap out got the joint sealed up and rail refitted nice and tight. 

Hopefully this will solve the issue. 

In other news, bought a DAB external ariel wich I'm going to replace the roof mounted oem one with. Will report back with photos when done.

• Like 1

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic