10 hours ago, Dave said:

So decided that I wasn't happy with it, even though it was almost perfect joins wise etc. So decided to do more filling/sanding smoothing. Had noticed it wasnt even around the console when fitted, so masked console and started applying bumper filler followed by knifing filler for a smooth finish.

1here we go again.jpg

got it sanded to a super smooth finish, and the joins were perfect. Once into rpimer, couldnt see any joins and all the contours were spot on! Spent hours sanding and shaping it so was really pleased! Went to get more satin black paint, got it from Halfords (my 1st mistake!) I should have learned from the past! Halfords paint is the worst ever!

2nd mistake was applying the halfords paint onto the lovely surround! Paint reacted and ruined it!!!!!!

in this photo, you can see how nice the shape/joins turned out. 

2herewegoagain.jpg

Unfortunately, heres what the paint did on the rest of it!

3here we go again.jpg

4nd round of filling.jpg

To say i'm gutted is an understatement! Halfords should be banned from selling this shit! I should have remembered from when I was doing the wheel refurbs the first time round, the lacquer was soft as hell and went flat and dull after a week. then rain/brake dust marked it all with in 2weeks. So, word of warning, do not buy paint from Halfords! 

I'm not beat though! I'll sand the paint off and then prep for painting again. Will use proper paint (same as first time I painted it) so the end result should hopefully be perfect.

Jesus! Is that the plastic itself that's reacted? That's a right cnut. I bet you were gutted mate. cry.gif1

I'm sure that you'll get it sorted though chief, but it's a right pain that you thought you were done. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dave said:

In other news, DD went for her mot today...................and failed! TBF, I took a chance knowing her handbrake was crap! That was all she failed on though so I'm happy. The chap at the garage is and older guy, been a mechanic most of his life. When I went to pick her up, he had me there for an hour blethering about DD! Said that he was really impressed with her, and that he used to work for a Honda dealership many moons ago and loved old Honda's! Currently drives a mk2 CRV himself and swears by Honda. He said he was surprised when he had her up on the ramp, saying that she was immaculate, even underneath! Said he could see she has been well cared for, and really likes her!

after talking for a while, agreed the work on the rear brakes to get them spot on. They're also going to fit the brand new rear discs I got for DD, then she's getting a full "big" service as she's not had one for years (not done enough miles) but has now hit 10K since last one so deffo due. Said the big service will see everything done, new filters, new oil, new spark plugs, all brakes stripped down and cleaned greased etc. He said to make sure I keep looking after her the way we have as she's a stunner and not many around now. 

So seems DD has got a new fan, and we have finally found our decent garage down here!

It makes you feel good to know that someone working on your car cares about it - all good news on DD there :-D

• Like 1

yeah, really happy with the garage and the mechanic (Kenny), they did the mot on Mindy and again, were impressed by her condition. I'm gonna get them to fix the wee leak they spotted on the steering rack (said it was miniscule so nothing to worry about for now) and also the oil leak she has (from when I fitted the brand new rocker cover bolts from Honda and one sheared off!). See if they fancy the job of drilling out the old snapped bolt as I'm not sure I fell confident enough. Oil is seeping out the corner of the rocker cover so would like it fixed.

RE the console catastrophy, luckily it's just the paint thats reacted and went all yucky. The plastic itself is sound. I've got most of that crap paint sanded back off now so it's back to being smooth again. Will get it into (decent) paint this weekend then see about choosing DD's new double din head unit.8-)

• Like 1

That's a relief... Still a bugger though. 

A guy from work has a Caterham, and had a sheared bolt in the block.. He was really sweating on drilling it out. He got some of those bolt extractors, and a reverse pitch drill bit, and luckily the drill bit got it out without needing to use the extractors. 

• Like 1

Sooooo, the double din dash conversion panel is completed! Actually really pleased with it, even if it was a total pain in the ass to do! Some pics below, hope you like!

Finished1.jpg

Finished2.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dan1 said:

Looks awesome mate, will look OEM for anyone who isnt familiar with our cars!

Thanks Dan! Yes, deffo looks oem, and will also fool quite a few who are familiar with these cars too! lol :-D That exterior surround isn't going in \DD though that its temp fitted to just now, that's just a scabby old spare which is also grey so no good.

Been hunting in the garage and found my oem Integra (DC2) TypeR cupholder, the one that pops out from the dash. So hoping to see if that can be fitted in along with the double din. Even if I have to sacrafice the ashtray, I wouldn't mind as thats never been used and wont evr get used so be nice to have something useful there.

Plus the fact its the one thing these cars are totally missing, should have had cupholders designed into them when new! It's not like there weren't any drive-throughs in 1995 onwards! 

So once its all fitted, it'll bring DD bang up to date technology wise, and convenience wise.:cool:

Amazing work Dave - will be good to see it installed in its glory. 

I've often wondered about this integra cup holders about whether they'd fit - look like they'll be so much better to use than those ones in the arm rest. 

• Like 1

Deffo mate, the arm rest ones I have sitting on a shelf in the garage............I found them to be next to useless in the car lol. The ITR one should fit in nicely, just need to see how I'm gonna do it lol

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic