Nah mate, would still need the metal removing. It's the horizontal bit that sits just below the original radio hole. So it's slap bang in the way for the new head unit. Gonna have another look at it later I think before deciding to can the idea. She's off the road till the 31st anyways, as that's when she goes back in for her retest mot and to get her service, so plenty time.

• Like 1

Just crack on with it Dave. Nice neat cuts file edges. 

Do a good job of it and it won't be butchered and you'll ge the result your after.

I recall having to do the same on mine and on my eg.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KiNK43 said:

Just crack on with it Dave. Nice neat cuts file edges. 

Do a good job of it and it won't be butchered and you'll ge the result your after.

I recall having to do the same on mine and on my eg.

Did you do it to your MB mate? Know the eg poses similar issues when doing this mod. Did you get any photos of the internals before and after the cutting? just been out measuring again to see if I can fit it up top (moving switches down to bottom and doing away with the crappy clock) but think it might be tight. Also looking at fitting it below the heater controls and doing away with the ashtray etc as we don't use that anyways. Would need to have it tilted at a slight angle I think though with it being low down, but might be a possibility. 

@KiNK43Just been having a butchers at your gauges, looks mint that!! Think the metal bit is directly below where the bottom of the radio sits, so you might have got away with it fitting the gauges? It looks like the head unit will fit in at the bottom without any troubles, so thinking this is where it will go. I've ordered up a new single din cubby hole to go where the current head unit is. Will fit the USB ports from the new head unit into the rear of that along with a new 12V socket I've ordered to replace the fag lighter socket. 

Will run it like this for a bit to see how it goes, not 100% sure if I'll be happy with it down there though, but will see. If I don't easy enough to revert back to oem then fit a single din with double din motorized screen and either sell this one or fit it to Mindy.

Still not decided what to do with the double din console I made, whether to sell it or keep it for a rainy day?

Yayyyyy! That's DD back with a full years MOT and had a full big service, so had oil, filters, plugs etc changed, brakes have all been stripped, cleaned, regreased and built back up, new rear discs and pads fitted. Drove her home last night and that horrible clunking noise fro n/s/r is now gone too. Was the missing shims/rear discs right enough causing that. They also fitted a new brake clip/retainer kit from Honda as the old ones were looking well dodgy!. Drove over a rough bit of road on way home that she was really rattly/clunky over before, not a sound this time! She really is driving sweet as a nut now, so smooth and quiet. Dave is a happy chappy! 

Will be looking at the Double din radio fitment again, see what I can do! 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, dr_broon said:

Nice one. Good to get the rattling brakes sorted out as well  8-)

Yes, so glad thats sorted as she really did sound like she was falling apart going over rough roads, both from inside the car and outside! She's sooooo quiet now, feels like a new car again! 8-)

• Like 1

So, was kinda warm here yesterday and we were out in DD.....and that's when we noticed!! Was hot so went to turn the heater down.........and button would only go quarter way round towards cold! Didn't even make a difference, heater was on hot! Went to change the vents to the face level ones so we could shut out the heat...that didn't work either!

Realized the control cables must have become detached when I had the dash out to trial the dd conversion....grrrrrr! complain.gif1

Really pee'd off! Stripped all the radio and centre console out again, and had a look at heater control unit. Cables were a bit trapped so free'd them off. Then spotted both had become detached at the heater box (yes, I could have got those back on without taking the console out!!! complain.gif1) So trying to get the cables back onto where they needed to go was an absolute faff, didn't help it was bloody raining either. After some contorsion manuvers, they were back on. tested, all working. 

Had another look at dash while everything was out and have made a final decision. Thought about putting the unit lower down, maybe doing away with the ashtray etc, but would be too low imo to use it safely and would be awkward to see. So had another look at the original place I was intending to fit it and seeing what I'd really need to cut away, I'm not going ahead with the conversion. Plan B is going ahead so will be fitting a single din with unit with a motorized double din screen. 

Still got the car to put back together so will do that tomorrow or Thursday. If anyone is interested in either the double din head unit or the completed double din converted centre console let me know. Not sure how much to sell it for?

• Dave unpinned this topic
  • Dave pinned this topic