Day to Day Deck

jon1600E

Had some time off work recently, so managed to solve a few problems. Bought some tail gate struts off the internet, only about £20 for the pair if I remember correctly. It looks like you can pay a lot more for these if you wanted to.

june2012037_zps11db33b7.jpg

The second hand ones I bought lasted about a week.

Heater resistor pack bought from Ebay replacement ceramic type. Bit of fiddly soldering to do.

june2012031_zps579f9362.jpg

june2012032_zps9fb27feb.jpg

june2012033_zps8748ae56.jpg

Instructions fairly easy and straight forward to use. Best to read them first, as I later found, as the resistor value is marked on the individual bags that each resistor comes in, and not on the resistor it’s self.

Quick test on the multimeter sorted each value out; largest resistance value is slowest speed etc.

Bit larger than original assembly, but slotted in the air duct without too much difficulty.

All speeds work fine. I have to mention that there did seem to be a bit of a burning plastic smell just at first on the lower settings, as they do get very hot. Further inspection reviled that there was nothing untoward happening, and the smell has since stopped, must have been the fact that they were new.

Latest job that really needed to be addressed was a rather bad leak in the passenger side foot well. Water appeared to be entering the heater fan ducting and on bad days, if you put the fan on, water was spraying into the foot well like a shower.

This resulted in a very steamed up car, with very poor visibility when setting off to work first thing in the morning.

june2012035_zps0726af05.jpg

june2012034_zpsf5ddff04.jpg

Long term, don’t know if this will work, but where the old gasket used to be on the plastic scuttle panel, I applied some bathroom mastic on all contacting surfaces before re-fitting (only thing left in the garden shed that hadn’t gone off, big throwing out session of about 6 tubes of stuff).

Just a clean out of all the compost under that area must have helped, must have been a trowel full of mud sticks and leaves.

So far so good, carpet in passenger foot well seems dry.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have been busy. I keep thinking I will take my panel off and clear out the crap, its just having the time and the right weather.

I know they are not fun jobs, but do make a difference. You're right about the weather, slightly warmer temperature might stop the plastic clips from snapping too, few of mine went ping!

Great job, I've got a snail on the wrong side of the panel that has grown to big to get out! :D

What have you been feeding it! :o

Could be escargot pate all round when it eventually finds the heater fan :D

This resulted in a very steamed up car, with very poor visibility when setting off to work first thing in the morning.

^^ i hate that ^^ :evil:

:idea: so i go to work afternoons :D

sorry to spam top work m8 will have to do this, also were the lume goes under fuse box ;)