Odd SRS + ABS errors. Code = 61 Vti S reg

SilverVti

Hi  I have one of the 522 remaining Vti 5 doors remaining in the UK according to here

I love the car and have had it from new. Despite convincing the missus to buy a new 1.6 diesel which is great, I want to hang on to my Vti because it's a Vti. (you know what I mean if you have one).

I haven't tried to put it forward to be car of the week on this site but I'm playing a long game - a little bit like last man standing LOL.

Anyway, I have an odd error code and wondered if anyone could help.

On starting up, the car starts but all of the lights on the dash seem to glimmer rather than come on fully. After a few seconds they all come on strong and the ABD and ERS lights go out. (well most of the time). I then set off and either one or both of them come on and either stay on or go off after a few seconds. It's pretty random.

I have tried the ERS reset proceedure here and it seemed to work but then come back again.

I have checked the error code here

it comes up with error code 6 1.

It suggests an ignition voltage issue IE faulty battery, faulty charging systyem, faulty modulator. Which seems reasonable. The car isn't used much and did have a flat battery a few weeks ago. The battery is only a couple of years old. so the finger points to the 2 other bits, modulator or charging system.

So the question is, how does one check these 2 parts, and what would the suggestion be ???

Thanks in advance

You need a multi meter to see how much voltage the battery is putting out, if low try changing and check again if it still doesn't increase in voltage when the car is running it's likely to be an alternator problem.

Hmmmm  thanks Nick

Battery at 12 v before starting

battery at 18.8v when just started (dash lights fluttering) (seems to be overcharging)

battery at 17.5v ABS + ERS coming on and off

battery at 13v after turning off.

Methinks alternator might be the problem after looking at this fairly useful guide

Anyone agree ???

I haven't yet had the bottle to put my arm into the alternator !!

Sounds like alternator, should sit at around 14 volts when running (14.4 is the ideal from memory).

If you can get hold of one you know is good to swap in, that would be the best way to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...

All sorted now.

It was the alternator. After 2 failed attempts to source the right one, the 3rd was fitted and the problem just went away.

No more error codes, no need to reset ABS/SRS. All back to normal now.

Thanks for your help .

Now I have to deal with the rust on that rear wheel arch ...... shame Honda didn't do the recall right all those years ago.