2002 Audi S3 (8L chassis)

feck_on_a_stick

Looks like a nice car. Boost leaks are a b****r to find.

Yep, although I think I've been pretty lucky that mine were easy enough to find.  A homemade boost leak kit using an aerosol lid, compressor and bicycle bits really helped too lol

Really tidy S3 mate, like that a lot. Always fancied an RS4, something about them I really like. Love the colour yours is in, very mint looking Audi mate!

The flaired arches on the older S3 and the RS4s really help I think.  Makes them nice and agressive looking.  The newer S3s don't have such pronounced arches and I think look alot plainer. 

A V8 RS4 would be lovely tbh. 

I have a group of mates who I refer to as "Team boost leak" because they all own 1.8 20v T's in one form or another :lol:

Glad you've been finding and sorting the piping! OEM colours for the win I say!

Bit odd you found rust though, thought they had galvonised bodies?

• Like 1

lol yeah the 1.8Ts seem to all leak eventually.  I suppose most of these engines are at least 10yrs old now and most end up perishing somewhere.  I've a friend with a Cupra R who is losing the will to live trying to find his leak lol

You're right though about Audis using galvanised steel, but it seems  that there are still a few areas of weakness on the S3 where they are particularly prone.  Down round the door blade and roof rails are the main areas.  As for the reason for this, I don't know.  Some people suggest water particularly builds up along these edges and the zinc coating eventually wears allowing rust in. 

Audi had a 7 year warranty for it but now they sometimes agree to contribute towards repair costs if you fight your corner and jump through hoops.  I couldn't be bothered and just left it in with a local body shop.

Tell your mate to get it smoke tested, would show where it's leaking I'd have thought!

For the cost vs time with it being what it is you're quicker just paying it.

But at least it's not like you've got major corrosion issues! Probably worth keeping an eye on the drain holes in the doors?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been huffing all weekend after a disappointing day at a local rolling road day.  The S3 came off the rollers with a strange looking graph and 1bhp down from last year, even with a new turbo pipe and better downpipe.  The rolling road folks said it was the quattro system being confused with the rollers, but at the same time I think there was more to it.  You can see it reads like an epileptic tried to draw a straight line and the big dip around 3,000rpm. 

6260E7C4-55C3-45B5-8349-AA6FBBD8FDC2_zps

41caa97f-99ed-4b01-b6c2-d1af8a940b97_zps

I think I'm going to garage it for most of the winter and I'll start gathering up a few bits and pieces.  I'm going to get larger coil packs off a newer 2.0 TFSI engine and arrange for a new map on the car.  I've never been able to find out what map was originally on it and I'm wondering how restrictive it is following the changes I've done to the car.

I can't really complain though.  One of the organisers put his 540bhp mk3 Golf on the roller and it blew a tyre at a recorded 223mph!

73026CDC-CF15-4292-935F-F876F424703C_zps