1.8 VTi bad snow drivability

E=MC2

Hi guys. New winter came, new snow, everything is white and i am happy like a child. But new snow allso means new driving problems.

I apsolutely adore snow. I love skiing, i love ice skating, snowballing, and allso love to drive any sort of transportation on snow. Before Honda i drove 200sx s14 which was totaly fun, but with rwd+lsd even with winter tires it got stucked on any small obstacle, and it was very annoying.

Finaly, the time has came to change the car, and i hoped that new B18 FWD LSD car with new winter tires will be as close as possible to some AWD, and i will have great snow mobility. 

And then, unpleasant surprise. Car simply refuse to move forward. THO, it is much better then Nissan (at last it is fwd car), but not even close to what i hopped that it will be, and what i saw on others normal FWD cars. Skodas, KIA's, brothers Civic EP2, Dacias, Audis,  gf's Opel Astra..... All of them are going totaly good, no metter if it is cheaper or high class tire, and my deck keep stucking on funny and stupid places.

On hard pressed snow  (allmost ice), even on 1-2 degree slope i wasnt able to move. In deaper snow on steaper slopes, driving on other cars tracks i cannot climb the hill or simmliar situation.

On the other side, in rewerse car moves dramticaly better, but again worse than other cars. Breaking is good, steering is good, but moving forward drives me mad.

Car have mounted Sava Eskimo HP ( from High Performance) 195/50 R15. Tire is realy good on dry winter tarmac, even on wet surface.

Sava-ESKIMO-HP-salog.jpg

Potential causes:

- Bad tire choice - can be the problem, but some people just love them and they buying them over and over again

- Bad tire size choice - because of the big price difference, i bought 195/50 instead of 195/55

- Torsen LSD - 2 wheels instantly start to spin and make ice underneath them

- Too much power or rews - also problem with making slipery surface on clutch release ( but i am confused why car stops on hill when the it was grabbing forward), but i know hot to drive on snow and how much gas is needed

- Too much weight - but i know that lighter nad heavier cars doing better snow performance, on any winter tire

- Too much weight on the rear axle - light front end pulls heavy rear

- Combined causes :)

Please all of You MB6/MC2 owners, share your opinions and expiriences so i can know what to do next, because i need to make new tire choice, and i would like that my car finaly goes as best as its possible.

Not sure many of us can compare to the awesome amount of snow you probably get! We have a little bit for a day or two and the whole country stops :lol: Would love to see some pictures!

But I never really struggled when I had my MB6, usually find a new all round tyre seems to work fine for me! But you've got tyres especially which is what has me confused to the lack of grip! The profiles shouldn't make a difference as you stayed with the 195 which is the width.

As mentioned above we don't have much snow. But I always thought my mb6 was good when the weather turned. LSd seemed to help with grip..

Only time I got it stuck. Was pointing down into a corner that caught all the snow and buried car. Even then I only blame toyo tyres for not getting out. Not a great winter tyre choice hey

Yes, i know that many of you from UK cannot say anything, because lack of snow (i saw many funny videos from some of last winters :D), but i hope that some frined from scandinavia, or some other northern lands can say something.

Generaly, this car is a good gripper, but snow and ice are surfaces for themself

The profiles shouldn't make a difference as you stayed with the 195 which is the width.

On snow generaly narrower tire is slicing snow better, but for ice theres no big difference. Tire profile isnt changing nothing but torque moment, because of rod lenght (tire diameter), so smaller diameter, higher torque. Higher torque = easier lost of grip ;)

Would love to see some pictures!

Would this do the job?

IMAG0495.jpg

From last winter. Me and GF went for ski day.

Today we have 10-15cm of snow, but it is wet and it's melting quickli :(, so it's not worth of picturing.

Awesome photo! 8-)

Ah yeah I understand what you're saying, I know you said there was a price difference but it would be interesting to see how much difference a 195/50 would make over the 55 :idea:

I so envy you guys in UK ! I hate snow and winter and particularly cold  :D 

I currently have one of the cheapest winter tires - Debica Frigo 2 (this will be the last winter I drive them because they're getting old). The shop I bought them advised me to buy taller tires for the winter so I chose this size - 185/65/14 (Original is 185/60/14).

I have D15Z8 engine so I don't have LSD. I don't have much experience because I mainly drive on cleared roads and I avoid driving in winter. But anyway I think the drivability in snow isn't bad. In slush though it's terrible but that probably is normal.

I have a friend who is a snow lover like you and loves going to the mountains. He has the same car as me - D15Z8 MB3 and he's very pleased with the car behavior in winter. If he wasn't he would have probably changed the car for that reason..

He recommended me Vredestein Snowtrac 3 and said it's an amazing tire. He told me of a trip that he went with his car and everybody was amazed how the car reacted in really deep snow. According to him if he wasn't with Vredestein he wouldn't have got out of the snow. When I see him again I will ask him for any advice for your problem. 

As said, we don't have quite the same experience of snow as you but last year some of our roads actually looked similar to this:

IMAG0495.jpg

The road I use to my house has a similar incline and I had no problems running toyos in the same size you have, I even had to avoid an idiot in a mercedes trying and failing to go up the same hill, sliding backwards across the road towards me.

well, my MA8 is simply terrifying on snow/ice compared with anything else with four wheels, there is no grip at all with front tyres and sometimes I have to use handbrake in order to do corners in downhill.

I haven't tried with current tyres (Yokohama A-Drive) and suspension setup but I'm not too confident