Seat swap - Facelift vs Pre-facelift

Krzys

Just thought I'd share a bit of useful info I came across fitting the leathers into my VTi-S.

My original seats are from a facelift and the leathers are pre-facelift.

The fronts are bolt off/bolt on which is fine. 

The rears aren't entirely the same, small differences.

Rear catches/hooks/hoops: 

2cdf3baf-d96e-49fa-94a3-3f33007aaaf8_zps

Facelift on the left and pre-facelift on the right. Note the bolt hole sizes are different with facelift being 10mm, I have to bore out the pre-facelift catch and make the holes a bit wider too so they'd line up on the bulkhead. This is not a threaded hole so is fine.

Note here the different fixings used for each type of catch:

B63AA14B-9B5D-4CEE-8158-587FC1CEBBC8_zps

Also had the same issue with the rear seatback brackets, pre-facelift has smaller holes but aren't threaded so made bigger with a drill! Also don't remove and the refit upside down like I did....

1690E997-B17F-429C-8A2C-FB20746BA98B_zps

Also these brackets are different between pre and face-lifted interiors, not interchangable.

Another thing, the bit of plastic trim the catches sit in are interchangable and if you can I would recommend you do change them, least that way you won't need to cut any of it or have smaller catches in a larger hole, just looks better in my opinion.

Finally, seatbelts, pre-facelift has center lap belt and facelift has 3-point middle (same as the end ones known as 3x3). If you are changing from pre-facelift to facelift or the other way around you will need to transfer the rear seat belt anchors over as well, bolt-off/bolt on job.

Hope this is helpful!

• Like 2

Very helpfull mate as when i get round to getting leathers for project MB3 i intend on going for a later 3 point and mins is the lap belt style

Yeah you'll need the rear seat belt anchors as well for that, I had to swap them over as mine we're 3 point and these have the lap belt! Wanted 3 point but it's not the end of the world!

do the new (old) rear seats have the arm rest like the others because that is one of the things i hate in our MB3 not having an armrest, the lap belt is tucked away under the seat so i don't care about that

Yeah they all seem to have the arm rest! When I was taking the leathers out of the donor car the lap belt was stashed underneath the bench part too! :lol:

Excellent work sir.

I really can't understand why they changed the fixings. :unsure:

Awkward gits eh?

Yay. Now I've got a link for this common question on facebook!

Top job sir.

Not a problem! It's info worth sharing I thought as there wasn't anything like this already!