Drivers door window regulator mechanism - Removal + compatible parts ?

SilverVti

HI

The driver's door electric window just decided to break. Fortunately we were on the way to local dealer to pick up the wife's MK9 and they kindly agreed to have a quick look. They reported that the gear had broken and I need a replacement regulator mechanism. This'll cost £332 to supply and fit. EEk !

They did suggest that a compatible part may work, I was thinking more breakers yard ..... but does anyone have any experience in doing this ???
I can get the door card off no trouble, just wondered what was involved in replacing the mechanism and where a replacement might be sourced.

Thanks

When mine broke me and a mate did it with a non OEM part and it was wasn't too bad to fit but adjusting it wasn't easy and it wouldn't fit right. I would get one from a breakers or a OEM part from one of the traders here like John Banks as you know it should fit perfectly.

• Like 1

I would go for a secondhand one from another Civic 5 door, easy to swap as it's a matter of undoing the bolts behind the plastic covering and manoeuvring the mechanism out of the door. Hardest part is getting the first bolt in but once you've got that the rest is easy and you can even refit the window solo.

• Like 1

As above get a second hand on out another M not the sh1t Wilksey got lol. Very easy to change once door car is off just a number of 10mm bolts and a power cable which just unclips

• Like 1

Thanks for the tips. The original parts seem hard to come by on ebay 2nd hand but perhaps the traders here can make some suggestions. I guess the rover part will also fit so might also look in that direction.

As above get a second hand on out another M not the sh1t Wilksey got lol. Very easy to change once door car is off just a number of 10mm bolts and a power cable which just unclips

Well it broke then you said you were interested in having a look so i thought i could get a non oem part and it would be alright, how i made that mistake lol

Well it broke then you said you were interested in having a look so i thought i could get a non oem part and it would be alright, how i made that mistake lol

I made the same mistake using a pattern one off eBay! Was okay but could hear the motor struggling as it was a tight fit! Eventually killed the motor with the window part way down! 

• 4 months later...

noob question guys but im guessing the aerodecks use the same part as the mbs? coz i need a window reg for mine too and im guna try an source one from a breakers