Ebay exhaust back box pipe diameter smaller than standard?

UKCivic

Hi Guys,

I bought on Ebay a standard exhaust back box for my 1.5 VTEC-E MA9 as the old one was starting to blow.  I'm a welder so can repair and modify but for the price it seemed a cheap fix. The original system was made by 'Walker' and has a 48mm outside diameter (1 7/8â€) pipe into and from the silencer. The Ebay one is only 41mm (1 5/8â€) and looks very small. When I placed the tailpipes together for comparison I could slide the Ebay pipe inside the Walker one and there's still a couple of mm gap.

The back box will fit but it seems to me that I'd be restricting the exhaust as the rest of the system is the larger size and it's a ¼†step down in pipe diameter.

I wondered if I'd been supplied with a 1.4 rather than 1.5 exhaust so I contacted the vendor and the reply I got was 'the pipe bore size does not effect any running of the car at all as the restriction of the exhaust for back pressure for the running of the engine management is in the silencer itself the bore size does not restrict the exhaust flow to the silencer at all' 

I'd welcome your thoughts on this before I respond to the vendor, thanks in advance...

As above, you probably won't notice any difference when driving the car. My guess is this will be a pattern part like you would get from a motor factors so discrepancies are common I would say.

Incidentally could you please fill out your user profile bud? Thanks :smile: