Track day brakes for a daily driven MB/MC

Dexter

Edited 14.10.2014: Here's a small summary of the conversation in this topic and also http://civic5.com/fo...tec-discsagain/, http://civic5.com/fo...ended-pads-mb6/ and also experiences by Zuissi who used to race Time Attack with his MB6.

Track day brakes for a daily driven MB/MC

Brake pads: Proper pads are the most important thing. Opinions about different brands however are very varied, and not a single one stands out as the "ultimate" pad for MC/MB civics.

- Ferodo DS2500: Recommended by many, but won't last many hard track days.

- EBC Yellowstuff: mixed opinions, wear out quicker than Ferodo.

- Hawk: recommended by some

- Brembo: mixed opinions

- Nissin: mixed opinions

- Mintex: mixed opinions

- Tarox, Black Diamond, Axxis: rarely mentioned but recommended by their users

Brake discs: As long as they are in good condition, even stock discs will do just fine. Grooved, drilled etc. aren't really worth all the money unless you want the looks.

- Mtec: recommended by many, but also bad experiences with cracked/warped discs

- Black Diamond: recommended by some

- EBC Ultimax: recommended by a few

- Brake Depot: recommended by a few

- Tarox: mixed opinions

- Mintex: mixed opinions

Brake fluid: Upgrade to atleast Dot 5.1. For racing fluids Motul RBF600 is recommended by many.

Brake lines: HEL braided lines are recommended if you go RBF600 (higher boiling point), with street fluids stock lines should be ok.

Brake stopper: Not used by many but those who have one highly recommend it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original first post:

A few days ago my rear pads literally crumbled away on the track so maybe it's time to do a full upgrade. So i'm looking for a full set of performance discs and pads for a MC2 that won't crack/warp/disintegrate on the occasional track day, but not so hardcore that i won't be able to drive daily to work.

Any suggestions? Reading through the whole brakes & alloys section opinions seem to be very mixed about what's good and what's not. Mtec and mintex are out of the question. I used to think that EBC would be the thing but after reading Grant's experiences about them here http://civic5.com/forum/topic/8853-recomended-pads-mb6/ i don't know anymore...

Comments from track day drivers especially welcome!

Edited by Dexter

I've got mtec and mintex, but I've only done 1 track session with them!

Speed equip Motorsport (10000 rpm) are doing a special on stop tec ones NOW!

Yeah it seems like many are rocking that combo but also have read stories about cracked / warped dics so it doesn't feel like a long-lasting setup. I haven't heard of stop tec before, does anyone have experiences?

I've heard of them but never used them and don't know anybody who is using them.

I read on one forum that OEM discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads with 5.1 fluid and braided hoses would be good enough for mild track use and still decent on the road.

I'm currently using plain EBC disks with redstuff pads.

They have been in since early 2011, done 2 track days and they get constant abuse on the roads!

Was considering replacing them but checked them out last week and there is still plenty of life left in them :-D

I've heard of them but never used them and don't know anybody who is using them.

I read on one forum that OEM discs, Ferodo DS2500 pads with 5.1 fluid and braided hoses would be good enough for mild track use and still decent on the road.

I think that was a type-r forum, i've heard about thart same combo as well. But the thing is, i don't want to go just "good enough" as i clock my laps and always aim for improving my times. But yes i'm considering Ferodo pads, they seem to get the most positive comments padwise. For discs i'd like to get atleast grooved discs, since the visual part is also important to me :wink:.

I'm currently using plain EBC disks with redstuff pads.

They have been in since early 2011, done 2 track days and they get constant abuse on the roads!

Was considering replacing them but checked them out last week and there is still plenty of life left in them :-D

Hmm i used to think that Greenstuff would be enough but this got me onto the EBC website, and now after a thorough look it seems like Yellowstuff would be perfect for my use: "The bite from cold is superb which is uncommon with race materials (normally requiring warm-up) and makes this a pad which can be safely used on the road as well as on the race track."

So many options... :-? :-? :-?

Ive read somewhere that oem discs n ferodo are good so thats wat i put on wen i got the car but after a year n a half they feel s**t again so im going to save up for a brembo set up n legend calipers which ive been told is the best just pricey

The DS2500's are definitely good pads .. For similar money i'd also be looking at the Hawk hp+ which i thought were awsome !

Fluid is obv an important factor, as are braided lines ..

Disc wise, look at mtec, alot use them and appear to hold up ok. I think i'll be getting them next time around ..

I used ADL Blueprint blanks on my EK with Hawk HP+ pads, RBF600 and HEL braided lines.. (AND DRUMS ON THE BACK!)

That thing would out brake nearly anything !

• Like 1

The DS2500's are definitely good pads .. For similar money i'd also be looking at the Hawk hp+ which i thought were awsome !

Fluid is obv an important factor, as are braided lines ..

Disc wise, look at mtec, alot use them and appear to hold up ok. I think i'll be getting them next time around ..

I used ADL Blueprint blanks on my EK with Hawk HP+ pads, RBF600 and HEL braided lines.. (AND DRUMS ON THE BACK!)

That thing would out brake nearly anything !

Drums for the mother4ucking win!

My car currently has Mtec grooved discs, brembo pads and braided lines but with a standard fluid and isn't to me as good as I had hoped! Think the pads are too soft for my liking! Wish I had gone for better fluid too, seems to fade too quickly...

Drums for the mother4ucking win!

My car currently has Mtec grooved discs, brembo pads and braided lines but with a standard fluid and isn't to me as good as I had hoped! Think the pads are too soft for my liking! Wish I had gone for better fluid too, seems to fade too quickly...

Never really heard anything, good or bad, about brembo pads .. Ive genuinly not really heard a word, whcih may well be a bad thing .. Discs, pukka, calipers, pukka, just not really known for their pads ..

Would have defo done the fluid .. That will eliminate the fade completely !

• Like 1