Track day brakes for a daily driven MB/MC

Dexter

Typo? Dot3, 4 and 5.1 all mix together.

This is what I read.

While a vehicle that uses DOT 3 may also use DOT 4 or 5.1 if the elastomers in the system accept the borate compounds that raise the boiling point, (a temperature upgrade) a vehicle that requires DOT 4 might boil the brake fluid if a DOT 3 (a temperature downgrade,) is used. Additionally, these polyglycol ether based fluids cannot be mixed with DOT 5.0, which is silicone based.

I used EBC discs and Greenstuff pads around the Nurburgring and founds once I'd stopped the pads binding in the carriers they were upto the task  8 laps later they still worked well on the trip home and are still sitting on the hubs in the garage now!  The powder coating they put on the back of the pad is a little too thick and needed to be cut away on my car but that could just be bad luck on my part as I've never had the problem before.  I've also tried Black Diamond discs on several other cars with Ferrodo pads and had some very good results.  

I'd recommend decent over braided brake hoses as well, I've run HEL and Goodridge ones over the years and had no issues, they also improve brake feel and if the car is still running the original OEM ones they will probably be coming up for a change.  The HEL ones on the Civic were a good fit.

Stock:

Civic%2520Aerodeck%2520Rear%2520Suspensi

HEL:

IMAG0189.jpg

DOT 5.1 is another good call, I always swap that into every car I've ever owned after DOT 4 boiled on me during a spirited drive home one night.  Never had the problem since!

You could go balls out and put something a little more powerful under the wheels.......

IMG_20130106_201207.jpg

Yet to try these in anger yet but so looking forward to it!!!

• Like 4

That will do the job nicely dude.

N as for the brembo discs n pads my mate azza who has an mgzs 180 saloon has some (not the hatch) n wen i drove it i found them awesome no fade n plenty of bite but he said he did upgrade the lines n put decent fluid in as well

Yes. Hel braied lines. Motul rbf 600. Mtec grooved black edituon discs and mintex pads.

I think the Goodridge hoses were easier fitting wise, no messing about with rear lines being too short! 

Ok i think i'm starting to lean towards braided lines. Did you get these, Tom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Braided-Brake-Lines-For-Honda-Civic-Aerodeck-MC2-1-8-VTi-1998-2001-/221334085849?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33888a20d9? And were they really too short? If so, how did you sort it out?

Ok i think i'm starting to lean towards braided lines. Did you get these, Tom http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEL-Braided-Brake-Lines-For-Honda-Civic-Aerodeck-MC2-1-8-VTi-1998-2001-/221334085849?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item33888a20d9? And were they really too short? If so, how did you sort it out?

Tom had HEL's which I think his rears were too short.

Part No. for the Goodridge lines is: SHD0320-4C