grumbling noise at rear

Guest bubba

Question

I've got a 1.6ES 5 door and there's a kinda rumbling or groaning noise coming from the rear. Has been there for about a week but was only slight but now its gettin louder. will it b brakes?

8 answers to this question

Sounds more like a rear wheel bearing. Find out what side it's coming from, then jack that side up. with the car properly jacked up and wheel choks in place, Hold the wheel at the top and the bottom, and push and pull to see if the wheel moves in and out (even slightly). And spin the wheel and listen for grinding or roughness.

And whilst its jacked up, if you find the wheel really hard to turn with the handbrake off then suspect a sticking rear calipper or drum (depending which yours has)

• Like 1

It could be a few things, It could be the caliper not releasing itself after you apply the brakes?

It could possibly be a wheel bearing too I'd imagine although I'm new to Civic's so I'm not sure how they're assembled

Have you noticed a drop in fuel economy which could be brake related?

Sounds more like a rear wheel bearing. Find out what side it's coming from, then jack that side up. with the car properly jacked up and wheel choks in place, Hold the wheel at the top and the bottom, and push and pull to see if the wheel moves in and out (even slightly). And spin the wheel and listen for grinding or roughness.

And whilst its jacked up, if you find the wheel really hard to turn with the handbrake off then suspect a sticking rear calipper or drum (depending which yours has)

I would second what Dave has said :)