mc2 not warming up

dreadi

Question

So I drove to the Bristol meet last night, about 40/50 miles or so, and the car temperature gauge never really moved. For a lot of the trip it was at the bottom or up a little bit and if I stop at traffic lights it moves up to sort of a third of the way up.

Is it meant to sit at the half way mark on the temp guage? Every other Honda I have had did and did within a 5/6 miles of driving.

New thermostat or something more sinister?

Yeah mate,sounds like the thermostat is opening too soon then sticking. On the move the temp gauge should only drop by a very tiny amount, probably no more than 2mm at the very most. About 1/3rd is where most of the MBS sit on the gauge. Has the thermostat/coolant been changed before? If it has, it could also mean the coolant system hasn't been properly bled. When its up to temp, check (carefully!) the top and bottom radiator hoses, both should be hot. Then drive it until the gauge drops like you describe,and quickly stop and check them both again. You'll find one or the other will be cooler, and if so points to faulty stat or airlock. Both very easy to fix though. Oh, and its possible its already had a new stat, but the new one could also be faulty. That's quite common too!

On my MC1 it sits about 1/4 to 1/3 up when warm. However, when driving very easy, I've noticed it can drop back down, especially in this weather. Don't know if there's any issues with it, but it is consistent. Give it a good poke, or come to a climb, and it'll come back to its usual position. And it always sits in the same place when warm.  

So I drove to the Bristol meet last night, about 40/50 miles or so, and the car temperature gauge never really moved. For a lot of the trip it was at the bottom or up a little bit and if I stop at traffic lights it moves up to sort of a third of the way up.

Is it meant to sit at the half way mark on the temp guage? Every other Honda I have had did and did within a 5/6 miles of driving.

New thermostat or something more sinister?

On my MC1 it sits about 1/4 to 1/3 up when warm. However, when driving very easy, I've noticed it can drop back down, especially in this weather. Don't know if there's any issues with it, but it is consistent. Give it a good poke, or come to a climb, and it'll come back to its usual position. And it always sits in the same place when warm.  

As above really, I think both of you have sticking thermostats (sticking open).

It's interesting that I came across this topic. Been watching my gauge like a hawk today, and had a little read on what a thermostat does (I always assumed the main function was to stop it getting too hot), and I've now concluded that my thermostat is definitely knackered.

I even remember the day this started, but assumed at the time it must have always been like that.  

Good to see thy're cheap to replace anyway. Just hoping they're easy to fit too?

mega easy to fit mate! only two bolts to remove on the thermostat housing, pull out old one and pop in the new one. I'd put a new gasket on the housing too just to be safe. And always best to drain the coolant system first to do this, so you can flush it through and fill it with nice new water/antifreeze mix. Theres a how to in the tech section mate ;-)

Just had a quick look myself mate, and the original how to I posted with photos etc is gone for some reason, probably lost during the switch over to the current forum platform. There is another one there though. I'd download our service manual from the downloads section mate, it gives you detailed pics on it. ;-)

• Like 1