mc2 not warming up

dreadi

Question

So I drove to the Bristol meet last night, about 40/50 miles or so, and the car temperature gauge never really moved. For a lot of the trip it was at the bottom or up a little bit and if I stop at traffic lights it moves up to sort of a third of the way up.

Is it meant to sit at the half way mark on the temp guage? Every other Honda I have had did and did within a 5/6 miles of driving.

New thermostat or something more sinister?

First it might be worth it to replace your temp gauge sensor. Costs next to nothing and takes about 5min to do. A lot easier than changing the thermos... which i did twice before checking out the sensor, which solved my problem a few years back!

• Like 1

Can anyone recommend a thermostat? Supposedly the Circoli ones in Eurocarparts are not very good. And the Genuine Honda ones infinitely more expensive.  

Any middle ground anywhere? Preferably somewhere I can pick up locally, if possible?

Depends where local is to you chap, "North East" is a bit vague. 

http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/details/HONDA/CIVIC/1.8/1999/__/188/QTH366K/thermostat/

The above is from a motor factors local to me, just as a rough guide to price. It's also what I put in my VTi-S earlier this year and has been fine since.

Try getting a price from our Honda dealerships that are Official Civic5 Traders mate, you'll get a discount that way. Try John Banks Honda, or Western Honda (Kinnaird, Edinburgh) and let them know you're a club member. Not too sure if Western do delivery though, but John banks deffo do ;-)

Where can I find a temp guage sensor?

As for thermostat, I've learnt in the past buying non Honda parts can just prolong the headache and for £20 delivered, I'd much rather go genuine first time

Where can I find a temp guage sensor?

I bought one just at a local car parts store. I'm not sure what the official name for it is but Hayne's calls it a coolant temperature gauge sender unit.

Ok my thermostat is here. If I try fit it myself do I need to worry about loosing coolant or anything or is it literally couple of bolts, take old out, put new in and done? Looked over a few guides and some people say about dropping the coolant and other things like air bubbles in the system etc