B&Q bargain Torq sockets

UKCivic

Never thought I'd use the words 'B&Q' and 'bargain' in the same sentence but I've just been in my local store and their own brand Torq sockets seem very good value (just the sockets not the ratchets).  I know they probably wont last as long as Snap On or Britool sockets but they're okay for occasional use or filling in the missing gaps in your set - I've lost count of how many 13mm's I've lost.

As an example 13mm 3/8" socket - 67p, and the other end of the scale a large 32mm 1/2" deep socket (driveshaft hub nut etc) for £1.67.   The cheapest 32mm on ebay by the time you pay for the postage is around £4.50.  And I couldn't resist the 8 piece 3/8" deep socket set sizes 10-19mm for £5.58.

Best to go to a store and see for yourself.  They're all there on their website - but it's truly awful, I'll be amazed if anybody has ever bought anything from it.  The two main bits of information you need when buying sockets are the ratchet connector size - ie 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" and the size of the bolt or nut you'll be using it on such as 13mm.  But their website gives the external dimensions and even they don't make any sense - the aforementioned 3/8" 13mm socket is listed as H (45mm) and L (90mm).

And all have the same descriptive text which either -  'This chrome vanadium (part number) deep socket from Torq is ideal for use on suitable for metal' or 'This chrome vanadium steel (part number) socket from Torq is ideal for use on metal, and comes with a high torque, making it easier to twist and tighten, but with the same level of performance.' :huh: ????

Putting aside the appalling grammar the information given is useless.  All it needs to say is for example '3/8" 13mm socket suitable for tightening or loosening nuts and bolts'.  And don't get me started on 'ideal for use on suitable for metal' rlol.gif1

• Like 1