'Glen the Deck' - Baikal green VTI MC2

BiMU

So after some looking around which seemed for eternity I finally picked up a VTI Aerodeck. All the cheaper ones went so quick and so saw one on Gumtree that had been there for a while but was up in Dewsbury, a good 3 and a half hours away. I had originally wanted to wait until my CRV had sold but I thought to just go for it and stop procrastinating.

Traveltime_zps850eb0f4.png

On the Saturday my father and I set of at 7:30am to head up and look at the Aerodeck and basically buy it. I had a agreed with the seller that I was going to come up and was very interested. The problem was that after committing to the journey the seller had also committed to getting it through it's MOT no matter the cost. The original agreed price was was £1300 which was I would think mid range price range as I had seen them go as cheap as £550 and as high as £1800 dependant on condition and spec. This one was at 63,000miles in Baikal Green but had been stood for a year, with that I was dubious but went anyway.

Got there and I went against all the buying conventions, not seeing it first, raining and the car was running. So I couldn't tell the condition of the body or engine - grrrrrrr. However it did pass it's MOT so it was legal but it had not been cared for as it was stood for a long while and the seller was a builder/joiner by trade and used it for work purposes. Reason he was selling was that he had a fall at work and was not able to drive a manual car. After chatting and looking over it and seeing what needed to be replaced or fixed and my dad spotting a dodgy tyre and getting him to replace both rear tyres we agreed a sale on £1200 also including a full replacement interior, door cards, carpet and Powerflow mid section and back box. I don't mind a little project but there is a long list, especially after looking at it in the cold light of day!

Drove it down from Dewsbury and I must say it is a really nice engine, pulled well and sweet through the gears. Probably the best engine in a car that I've owned so far. It's a nice comfy ride albeit the bounciness and the skittishness of pulling away hard - hopefully that's down to the tyres.

Anyway here's some pics:

20150117_185642_zps4e6c0cf2.jpg

Bad drivers window rubber and suspected worn teeth on the regulator.

20150117_185656_zpsd15812da.jpg

Random coloured driver's side wing mirror - cracked!

20150117_185549_zps977890d7.jpg

Mash up heater vent!

20150117_185621_zps68544bae.jpg

Sunroof seal tatty!

20150118_184032_zps5f0c00c3.jpg

This is the state of centre console - was ripped out due to screws rusted. 

Here's some good bits!

20150117_181258_zps6be2f489.jpg

64,000 miles (after driving it back)

20150119_084313_zps01d2ecdd.jpg

20150119_084329_zps42175718.jpg

Nice and clean... from a distance! Finally here's a to do list! It was done after spending Sunday morning fitting the new interior... well the rear seats - was way too cold to do the fronts and carpet!

Parts needed:

1. Drivers wing mirror

2. Passenger wing mirror glass

3. Drivers side window rubber

4. Front passenger window rubber

5. Plastic cover under steering wheel

6. Middle vent

7. Armrest console

8. Grab handle screw covers x 3

9. Floor mats

10. Rear load replacement carpet section

11. Rear side covers

12. Rear load cover

13. New tyres x 4 (maybe!)

14. New spare wheel tyre

15. Tools

16. New car key

17. New alarm system or new fob

18. Sun-roof rubber seal

19. Original air filter box

20. Front passenger lower fog light

21. Passenger front headlight washer jet surround

22. Passenger upper wish bone

Bodywork to look at:

• Front passenger wing

• Drivers front wing rust coming through

Other things to do:

• ABS light

• Handbrake light

• Check steering components

Once writing the list it has put me off a little as I really wanted something cleaner and more complete BUT I am determined to save it and have it back to it's original former glory. Just have to get on with it even if it I've got most of the parts on the way from a local Aerodeck being broken for parts, so means a weekend full of cold tinkering. It's a daily so I'll be finding little things wrong and also finding awesome things about it.

Future plans (that are not basic upkeep and fixing)

• MGZS rear ARB
  • Clay and polish
  • Coilovers probably Meister or BC
  • Have a look at possible wheel options.

Will hope to update regularly, hope I can save it too after initial high purchase price.

Cheers

Jason

• Like 3

Sounds like the same sort of list mine has become . She is an awesome colour though dude i wanted a baikal green one

Cheers mate. Really wanted a more sorted car but they're difficult to find as it is and everyone would rather break them and make money! I do like the colour, originally wanted a black one. 

I'm sure the list will get longer!

• Like 1

That is some list mate, but low milage sweet engine is the main thing! As said the rest can be deakt with over time :)... Saying that a year or so on im still working on some of my first todo list lol!!

Nice low miles though.. The other bits can all be changed :)

A you say though it's quite a list.

I'll have half of the list done by Saturday and it'll be mechanical and outer cosmetic stuff next! Glad it's easy swap bits!

That is some list mate, but low milage sweet engine is the main thing! As said the rest can be deakt with over time :)... Saying that a year or so on im still working on some of my first todo list lol!!

That's true the engine is pretty sweet, although it does also need a cambelt change soon! (Damn I better put that on the list!)

f**k yes!!!

Sorry for the language!

GLE! GLE!

@philgor!

Yeh!!!!

GLE bros!!!

Fuck yes!!!

Sorry for the language!

GLE! GLE!

@philgor!

Yeh!!!!

:lol:

We have an official civic 5 GLE register somewhere! !!

Used to be in your sig!

@BiMU I have a spare centre vent as I had bought one for a similar job, there might be enough of it left to help you out, I'll get a photo of it later. If it's any good you can have it mate. 

Looks like a Pirates black wing mirror on there that's damaged. New regulator will sort the window alignment out, don't get an eBay one as I had and it killed the motor after a few weeks, second hand OEM would be better but again, can be hit and miss.

Good luck with the list, I had a similar one with my VTi-S when I bought it! 

:lol:

Used to be in your sig!

@BiMU I have a spare centre vent as I had bought one for a similar job, there might be enough of it left to help you out, I'll get a photo of it later. If it's any good you can have it mate. 

Looks like a Pirates black wing mirror on there that's damaged. New regulator will sort the window alignment out, don't get an eBay one as I had and it killed the motor after a few weeks, second hand OEM would be better but again, can be hit and miss.

Good luck with the list, I had a similar one with my VTi-S when I bought it!

Cheers mate but I have a vent on the way already... got excited/anxious and bought a whole load of parts. I'll ask the guy I'm getting parts from if he has the regulator.

Welcome along mate! 

Not a stunner but a good base to work from! Nice long road trip too, we all love them :wink:

Looking forward to seeing you progress mate!

Thanks for the welcome! Yep definitely not a stunner, I haven't got super big plans so hopefully it's a simple Wheeler Dealers type restoration.

PS I think the name is cool! :lol:

Hahaha yeah I like it too. I always try and name my cars based on their registration and I guess because this one had 'GLE' so added the 'N' and love the 'Deck' bit which reminded me and missus of this Kiwi advert:

So now everytime I say the name I say it with the accent :)